3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 dodge ram 4.7 cooling system conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 dodge ram 4.7 cooling system conversion

Has anyone ever converted a 2002 4.7 Ram Degasser with radiator cap cooling system over to 2005 4.7 Ram cooling system with cap on radiator and overflow tank. Is it possible, to me looks like its and easy change. Thank You

Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I did mine. Put in a Hemi Radiator as well.

Last edited by big guy; 05-14-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

What year Hemi 5.? radiator did you get also overflow tank. Would that be all i need. Will it bolt right in. Thank You

Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM
big guy
Veteran

It's been a 5 or 6 years since I did this ??? I used Spectra CU 2813 Rad. It is listed for 2004 Hemi. Mounts right up. Maybe some minor hiccup but you can easily figure it out. Also need 2 new heater hoses. I bought fan shroud delete kit from Moe's (not sold any more) made installation very easy. I have an electric fan mounted to Rad and the factory clutch fan and fan shroud has been removed.
Can't post pics on this site. Google "Moe's fan shroud delete kit" for pictures. Or make a post on DT I can post my own pics.
What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Kevno6
Veteran

Been having problems with cooling system since 2004 and was thinking of getting rid of pressurized system to see if it is better.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

If possible I just want to change radiator and degasser. Didn't really want to go the route of an electric fan and shroud delete.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 PM
big guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevno6
If possible I just want to change radiator and degasser. Didn't really want to go the route of an electric fan and shroud delete.
Yes you can do that. Rad & rad cap & straight heater hoses are the required parts. In addition you will need an overflow tank. Probably have to do some looking and thinking on that one. Really coolant problems since 2004 that's along time??? It be nice to know what the problem is before spending more $$$$.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Bought the truck in 04 and was always losing antifreeze from the hose on the degasser bottle neck too much pressure in system I figured. At the time the truck never over heated or ran hot just topped off antifreeze when I lost it. In 2010 drove it to florida from jersey and never thought to check it on the way down and overheated in Jacksonville and blew a hole in radiator. I replaced radiator and was finally going to throw everything at it to find out if I could fix it. I changed everything with cooling system that I could then came the misfire cylinder 3 in 2013 and it was a blown head gasket so I figured this was brewing for a long time. I did the heads at that time and still continued to lose antifreeze. Have changed radiator again with a better one numerous caps 16lb and oe17lb and have tested for hydro carbons but nothing. Oil is clean no water no smoke or sweet smell of exhaust and did try a cooler thermostat. The radiator shop is going to do a pressure test for me and a flush to see if there is any problems. I did notice that Dodge eliminated this type of system and figured maybe it would work better for me.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 PM
big guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevno6
Bought the truck in 04 and was always losing antifreeze from the hose on the degasser bottle neck too much pressure in system I figured. At the time the truck never over heated or ran hot just topped off antifreeze when I lost it. In 2010 drove it to florida from jersey and never thought to check it on the way down and overheated in Jacksonville and blew a hole in radiator. I replaced radiator and was finally going to throw everything at it to find out if I could fix it. I changed everything with cooling system that I could then came the misfire cylinder 3 in 2013 and it was a blown head gasket so I figured this was brewing for a long time. I did the heads at that time and still continued to lose antifreeze. Have changed radiator again with a better one numerous caps 16lb and oe17lb and have tested for hydro carbons but nothing. Oil is clean no water no smoke or sweet smell of exhaust and did try a cooler thermostat. The radiator shop is going to do a pressure test for me and a flush to see if there is any problems. I did notice that Dodge eliminated this type of system and figured maybe it would work better for me.
Hopefully somebody can pin point the problem for you.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge ram 4.7 cooling system conversion