3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
MY misunderstanding.

but I do get asked often.
and todays world.. cuts down on car theft...
Not a shocker, no one really knows how to drive anything these days...

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM
RamFever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission swap

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
What trans do you have behind your 3.7?
Sorry for such a long time to respond, It has a 45RFE, could I switch to a 545RFE?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

45rfe and 545rfe are physically the same transmission, difference is software...

Old 07-24-2015, 11:10 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I'm not mistaken by 04 weren't they all programmed as 545's?

Old 07-25-2015, 01:10 AM
RamFever

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
No, that question was aimed at the OP...why do you want to swap a trans from a 4.7 into your truck?
I want to put a 4.7l because I wished for a 5th gear, to improve fuel economy. You said I already have the 5th gear I just need different software, how would I go about getting the different software?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Has to be flashed with StarScan tool. Now good luck finding a dealer who will do it.

We had a moderator on here a few years back with an '02 4.7 who lived about an hour and a half from where I am who wanted his 45rfe flashed to a 545rfe. He went to three dealers in his city, two told him this was not possible and the other told him it was, but they wouldn't do it as it made the vehicle non-factory.

He drove over here where my small town, local dealership flashed it. Took all of 15 mins...

Old 07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
RamFever

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Has to be flashed with StarScan tool. Now good luck finding a dealer who will do it.

We had a moderator on here a few years back with an '02 4.7 who lived about an hour and a half from where I am who wanted his 45rfe flashed to a 545rfe. He went to three dealers in his city, two told him this was not possible and the other told him it was, but they wouldn't do it as it made the vehicle non-factory.

He drove over here where my small town, local dealership flashed it. Took all of 15 mins...
Do you live in Texas? I'll try a few dealerships and if not, I guess I could always try your local dealership.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Not even close, east coast...

But regardless of what dealer tells you, it can be done with scantool. I dunno if they tell guys it can't because they don't have a clue or just won't.

I had access to a scan tool a when I used to install lift kits for a Jeep dealer and got to play quite a bit. Trust me, there are things you can do that the average mechanic at the dealership hasn't a clue about. More than once I've had to tell a mechanic just what screen to go to for a function.

I PM'd instructions to a member to take to a dealer a few years ago who told him it was impossible to enable DRL's on an '04. Was just a matter of changing the country code.

So yeah, dealer can make a 45rfe into a 545rfe, have seen it with my own eyes...

Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM
RamFever

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Not even close, east coast...

But regardless of what dealer tells you, it can be done with scantool. I dunno if they tell guys it can't because they don't have a clue or just won't.

I had access to a scan tool a when I used to install lift kits for a Jeep dealer and got to play quite a bit. Trust me, there are things you can do that the average mechanic at the dealership hasn't a clue about. More than once I've had to tell a mechanic just what screen to go to for a function.

I PM'd instructions to a member to take to a dealer a few years ago who told him it was impossible to enable DRL's on an '04. Was just a matter of changing the country code.

So yeah, dealer can make a 45rfe into a 545rfe, have seen it with my own eyes...
Say I have access to a scantool, where could I get the instructions to reprogram it?

Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

If you have access to an actual Chrysler dealer StarScan tool or Star Mobile you got it made. Go to the TCM module screen and from there just select the option to flash the latest firmware.

If you know a chrysler tech who can plug a $10,000+ scan tool into your obdii, why do you even need to ask so many questions on a forum?

If the scan tool is an oem, just be advised it won't work until it's been plugged into a dealers network...

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap