3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter tap (not the hemi tick)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 PM
TBarCYa
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter tap (not the hemi tick)

I replaced the engine in my 2004 Ram 1500 after having spun a bearing. The new engine had overheating issues (3 bad remanufactured water pumps from Pep Boys) and I had the head gasket on the passenger side replaced. Ever since the head gasket was done (I was injured and couldn't do it myself) the truck has had a valve tap that is much worse than the hemi tick. It sounds like it's only one cylinder and after driving will start only after idling for a couple minutes. It almost never taps from a cold start and I never notice it when driving. If the line is short, I can make it thru the drive thru without it tapping.

The guy (I won't call him a mechanic) told me to use Rislone to silence the tap and it seems to work for a while and I also notice that it's quiet for a time after an oil change if I don't add Rislone.

My question is, did the "mechanic" do something to somehow damage the lifter? I've used Mobil 1 synthetic since it was broken in and continue to use it today. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at for a repair here... Do I need to pull the head? It's been doing this for 45,000 miles so I could just leave it and / or keep putting oil additives in to keep it quiet but I've decided to keep the truck and "fix it up" so I'd like to fix it if it's not going to cost as much as another new engine...

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:46 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My first step would be ensuring the oil is not overfull. Next step would be isolating and determining exactly which part of the valve train is causing the noise....i. e. Cylinder 1 exhaust valve 2, then disassemble and inspect those specific items in the valve train checking for damage and wear.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, unfortunately to know for sure you're gonna have to pull the heads.

You also might want to change oils. The "Hemi tick" in my '04 was loudest with Mobil 1. Quieter with Castrol Syntec and quietest with a Royal Purple or Valvoline Synpower. Not that I really have any problem with M1 but others have also reported a louder tick in Hemi engines as well.

I know you say its not the Hemi Tick, but before tearing a running engine down I'd try 6 Qts Synpower and 1 Quart Lucas HD Stabilizer and see if it quiets down...

Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I can back Hammer on the oil brand thing. I've noticed a difference in the hemi tick with different brands of synthetic oils. Royal Purple has, and still does, keep it the quietest when the oil is fresh and the filter is good (it is also a first-line indicator that I'm coming up on my oil change window, as well ). I use Mobil 1 in our JK, but not in the truck.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 PM
TBarCYa
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it looks like I'll be switching oils. I'm actually debating a SeaFoam oil flush right before my next change in case there's gunk in that lifter that can get cleaned out. I'm about due for a change anyway.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It might be the cheapest 70 bones you ever spend if simply changing fluids alleviates your issue, rather than spending the money to have someone tear into the innards of the engine again. Even if it doesn't work out, it only cost about what an hour's labor for a "mechanic" (as you put it) would be, and you can at least be sure it's probably something more substantial. As for if your Wrench caused your problems, he's really the only one that can answer that for you... and I bet you already know what he's going to say.

Quick Reply: Lifter tap (not the hemi tick)