3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbocharger needs cleaning again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 AM
tabacinski1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbocharger needs cleaning again!!!

I have a 2008, Dodge Ram 3500 dually, 4 wheel drive truck with exhaust brake and tow haul mode. Starting in 2012 the turbocharger has caused problems. Dealer says it is due to soot. The turbocharger was cleaned by putting holes in it and spraying a cleaner. This was done under warranty. Exactly one year later (2013) the same thing happened again. The same "fix" was used and was covered under warranty. Exactly one year later (2014) the same problem occurred. This time warranty was up, and it cost me over $600. It is now one year later and the truck just went into the dealer for the same problem. I was told in 2014 to make sure the truck was put under load frequently and to use the exhaust brake all the time. This was done. Apparently, this didn't help.
What is going on? Should the turbocharger have been replaced back in 2012 when the problem first appeared? What should I do. The truck has never given me any other problems and has less than 60,000 miles on it and is completely decked out to suit my needs. Anyone have any suggestions? Comments? Is this method of cleaning the turbocharger the preferred way to do it?

Last edited by tabacinski1; 07-27-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common issue with the early 6.7. running with the exhaust brake on helps. Short trips not good. The engine needs to work. Put some stuff in the bed, and pull some hills. Another option is to do the deletes.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deletes, namely the EGR delete, help get rid of this problem. Also, the turbo can be torn down to be cleaned, your truck will be able to relearn the turbo the first time it starts up. Did the dealer do any software updates? Dodge also came up with some new programming that sweeps the turbo at startup and shutdown to help combat the soot buildup as well.

Slightly related problem could be the EGR CCV sludge buildup on the grid heater killing airflow into the engine starving it for air, which would produce more soot making the problem worse. Pull your intake horn to check the grid heater, I bet it's disgusting under there.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger needs cleaning again!!!