3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lower control arms price vs brand

Old 07-29-2015, 05:10 PM
se1911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arms price vs brand

Need to replace LCA bushings and ball joints. Looking at buying the LCA with the parts installed. Rockauto has a Dorman for $88 and Moog for $235. I've seen the other threads recommending the Moog, but haven't seen any comments on the Dorman. Anyone have experience with the Dorman brand, or is Moog worth paying the extra price?

03 Ram 1500 5.7 4WD

Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

If you can tap/press out your old bushings thats the way to go. even use some old impact sockets to tapout with. Ive used some dorman products not had any issues yet, hard to be rockauto's prices the last 7 years haven't had one failed part from them yet knock on wood

Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 AM
abarmby
Champion

Hmmmm.
Thats a BIG price differential right there.
It would certainly make me think of which one to buy.
Does the Dorman come with a warranty.
Some RockAuto stuff has a year.
If so....a year at $88 guarnteed plus any extra you will probably get, is certainly worth a thought.
I know the old adage of "you pay for what you get" comes to mind. But I bought some patten (UK term for none OEM parts) front wheel bearings. 2 1/2 years on still going strong and lots of spare money in my pocket compared to name brand and OEM parts.
I guess ive really confused you now lol.
Hopefully my post will act as a bump and someone will pipe up who has done this with the bits you mentioned.
Good luck bud and dont forget to post up which way you went.
Al.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM
se1911

The Dorman part has a lifetime warranty. Of course that doesn't cover the labor though.

Since I'm paying to have this done, going this way will save a bit of labor.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM
se1911

Finally got the control arm and bushings installed. BTW, the oem lower rear bushings don't fit the fabtech lift kits. Took 3 weeks to finish the job. First they thought I ordered the wrong bushings. After they ordered the bushing and they didn't fit, then they figured out it was the fabtech bracket. Send the bracket off to a machine shop to make it work. Truck is now in a bay with no front end installed and they want to use the bay for other maintenance. $342 tow charge to get it out and back in while they wait 2 weeks for the machine shop. What a nightmare. It's done though.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:59 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

$342 that a whole lotta beers they owe, whew!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower control arms price vs brand