3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body

Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-the-tb-2.html

Now y'all just need to ground them...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-29-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been on my to-do list now that I have places I can easily get the material. I haven't read all 18 pages today, but I remember that there was a cable from Wal-Mart that worked perfectly. I think it was for a riding lawnmower, maybe? Do you recall? I'll read through that thread again later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for linking it.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Default Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body

Yeah I think it's the negative cable for riding mower. But it's overkill. A length of 10 or 12 gauge laying around is plenty thick enough to ground the throttle body housing. I just used the thick cable cause I had a couple laying around for connecting 12 volt batteries for 24v trolling motors from my bass tournament days...

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-the-tb-2.html

Now y'all just need to ground them...
#truth

I used 3 strands of solid copper ground wire with gold plated connectors. It doesn't matter too much.

Name:  engine3.jpg
Views: 8124
Size:  237.4 KB

Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
It's been on my to-do list now that I have places I can easily get the material. I haven't read all 18 pages today, but I remember that there was a cable from Wal-Mart that worked perfectly. I think it was for a riding lawnmower, maybe? Do you recall? I'll read through that thread again later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for linking it.
Dude, get off your duff and run a wire. I just went back through that thread and you put it on your "to-do list" OVER THREE YEARS AGO!!!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch. That hurt. :P You are not incorrect, though. I am shamed...

Three years ago I was in Germany, hard to find anything on the economy, and very DIY-hesitant. I went through the thread last night, as well. I recall that whole time period, now, and the sometimes-heated debate over whether it actually made a difference, or not. I was looking for a part number to order the cable from Wally online, as we didn't have any over there.

Now, I am like a child looking to take things apart and put them back together again. I think it just took one or two successful projects to boost the confidence, as well as a buttload of searching and learning here and over at different Jeep forums (owning, wheeling, breaking, and fixing a Jeep a lot probably had a lot to do with this). I've got this on my automotive shopping list I keep in the center console, so next time I'm out I'll grab something that works and give it a shot, rather than just thinking about it.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Panthro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stenerson
Mines looks like that every 80K or so when I clean them. Truth is I notice no difference in performance .
Same here.

I clean/change the K&N @ the same time and let them air out most of the day in the hot sun.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:41 PM
JSMCO
Rookie

Did you use Throttle Body Cleaner or Brake Cleaner? I read on some other forum that Brake Cleaner is "safer" because it won't hurt electronic parts or something similar. Opinions?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMCO
Did you use Throttle Body Cleaner or Brake Cleaner? I read on some other forum that Brake Cleaner is "safer" because it won't hurt electronic parts or something similar. Opinions?

Use Throttle Body cleaner. Think about it -- the product is specifically made for cleaning the throttle body, plus the label includes verbiage that explains how throttle bodies have a special coating that more harsh cleaners will strip away. Brake cleaner is some nasty stuff made to clean serious gunk off of steel parts. How it can be considered "safer" defies logic.

That's like saying premium unleaded will run cleaner in a diesel engine.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

I thought the same thing as well, but was corrected. If you are cleaning up anything in the engine bay, except the TB, use brake cleaner as it is safer on the electronics and runs off/evaporates better. I use brake cleaner on my differential too when it gets checked.

SJ03

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body