3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear axle seal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle seal replacement?

I was just changing rear rotors, calipers, brakes and notice it's leaking diff fluid. I'm not sure I want to tackle changing that seal. Has anyone here done it? Do I need to replace the parking brake that's coated with it, or will brake cleaner fix that? I did a youtube search and there is a video for doing this on a 2nd generation. Is it similar? Any tips or hints appreciated. I've done front wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, just not sure the skill and tool level needed for this. Dodge ram 1500 4x4, 235K miles.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:56 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

With your experience I would not hesitate to do the job. Pretty simple really. Not sure what video you watched but will be the same or darn close to it.

One of the things that comes to mind is keeping the axles gears lined up during disassembly and reassembly. You can help this by not rotating the axle shafts once you have removed the carrier pin. And its not really that big of deal, I have had them fall out on me, just takes more time to sync them again. And dont let this scare you.

As for e brakes, I think it comes down to how much you use your e brake and your choice. Ideally, once brake pads are oil soaked they are junk. I completely removed my ebrake system about 5 yrs ago when everything was corroded bad with rust. I didnt use the ebrake system since new and it rusted away. I dont miss it and realize my back up system is void.

Feel free to pm me or post any more questions.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
As for e brakes, I think it comes down to how much you use your e brake and your choice. Ideally, once brake pads are oil soaked they are junk. I completely removed my ebrake system about 5 yrs ago when everything was corroded bad with rust. I didnt use the ebrake system since new and it rusted away. I dont miss it and realize my back up system is void.

Feel free to pm me or post any more questions.
Thanks! Truth is I don't use my ebrakes at all. So long as they pass the yearly inspection I'm happy.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Going to be kind of hard to pass an inspection without it entirely, no? Some people are lucky enough to live where there are no annual safety inspections...

Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stenerson
I was just changing rear rotors, calipers, brakes and notice it's leaking diff fluid. I'm not sure I want to tackle changing that seal. Has anyone here done it? Do I need to replace the parking brake that's coated with it, or will brake cleaner fix that? I did a youtube search and there is a video for doing this on a 2nd generation. Is it similar? Any tips or hints appreciated. I've done front wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, just not sure the skill and tool level needed for this. Dodge ram 1500 4x4, 235K miles.
I did one side on my previous truck, 04 QC hemi. Pretty easy. You need to purchase gear oil, because to remove the axle you need to remove the C-shaped retainer on the center end of the axle. To get to the retainer, you'll need to unbolt the cross shaft that goes through your diff (axles butt up against it) and slightly push your axles inward. You'll also want to get the seal in advance, and be prepared to look for wear on the bearing.

I bought the seal from NAPA, part number should be in one of my old posts. I didn't need the bearing on mine.

This can be done with a socket set and scew driver. Good time to clean the parking brake actuator, those things tend to rust and get frozen in one spot.

Quick Reply: Rear axle seal replacement?