3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tech Ripped Me Off ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RJP
Nobody? No Techs want to add something ?
You created this thread a little before noon TODAY. Most techs work for a living. PATIENCE...

I've changed speedo calibration many times via tuner and don't know of any second place it needs to be changed. I've used the dealer scan tool for some things, but can't remember ever using it for tire size recalibration.

No way of knowing if you got ripped off without knowing what's been done. ASK THE SERVICE REP what was required. Seen a bad speed sensor cause cruise to not work above certain speeds. Did they replace a speed sensor? If so, bottom line would be if within warranty - gripe. If outside warranty - swell up and pay it. After all, you claim you authorized the repair.

Again, first thing you need to know is exactly what they did to remedy the problem. It also doesn't help that you don't know for sure if the issue existed before the tire change...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-31-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
RJP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think I've been pretty clear about what they did.

When the truck was nearly new I put 35's on it and got the revolutions per mile changed so the speedo was accurate.

Not sure if the cruise ever worked above 100 kph, but it certainly didn't work after the tire swap.

I asked them to fix the cruise thinking it would be a simple thing... I want a tech to tell me if I did or didn't get ripped for $200.

That is all they did, I posted the tech's comments in my first post.

And my wife just pointed out the truck goes in Wed, not tomorrow.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask them for an itemized invoice of what was done. We can't tell you much until we know exactly what they did and how long it took them to do it, as well as what parts were involved.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

geez...here is your itemized report
diagnosed cause of cruise not working, programmed correct tire size and pinion factor.
your $200 was diagnostic and repair time. Do you need to have itemized notes of each test the tech did to verify that every other part of the cruise system was operational?

your beef with the original work may have merit only if it was done at the same shop. it was done a long time ago i'm assuming?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM
RJP

Exactly from the bill

Check and advise- Cruise control not working when going faster than 100 kms per hour.

Diagnosed and reprogramed vehicle to match tire size.
(this was done when new)

Cause:

CONFIRMED CRUISE CONTROL SHUTS OFF AT 108 KM'S/HR
trust me it shuts off at 100 kmh
CRUISE WORKS FINE UP UNTIL THIS SPEED AND WILL NOT ACCELERATE FURTHER
PREFORMED SCANTEST- NO CODES CHECKED FOR TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS-FOUND STARCASE K14963674

I did notice now that there is a 1.5 then way over here it has-> 204.00

so 204.00 / 1.5 = 136 per hr

No parts

Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 PM
RJP

It was the same shop, and it was a long time ago.

IMO it took the tech 10-15 minutes for the 1.5 hr's @ $136 per hr, and it was already re-programed for the speedo once before...

Ripped off or not

Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have documentation that this exact same action was taken the last time? It certainly sounds like something that would cause me to be upset, as well. I would ask to talk to the technician and inquire as to EXACTLY what he did, and what was different this time than last time. "IMO" isn't enough, unfortunately, if he has a craptastic excuse why he spent 120 minutes on it.

Ripped off? I don't know. I would say you have justification to demand a better explanation of where your money is going, though.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

All you provided was that your cruise doesn't work and it is going to cost 205 bucks. What did they do???

Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
RJP

Originally Posted by TNtech
All you provided was that your cruise doesn't work and it is going to cost 205 bucks. What did they do???

Seriously ?

It's all been thoroughly explained in my posts.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

They have overhead, so they most likely go by the book rate, even though it only takes 15-20 mins. Did you tell them to fix it or just advise of the problem? That could be your only recourse. They will probably give you a discount on future repairs only and not discount this bill. Be ready for that. Next time, call and speak to the service manager and explain your problems before going there and that you aren't looking to spend a lot. They want your business, so have everything in writing that you discussed over the phone and with whom.

SJ03

Last edited by SmokinJoe02; 09-01-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added last 2 sentences.....

Quick Reply: Tech Ripped Me Off ???