3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM
axeman_87
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling randomly

So truck sometimes stalls only when decelerating fast. i noticed if a/c is on it seems like it wants to more. more or less if im cruising and have to brake hard. Ive scanned for codes and nothing. I dont know what to look for. Its hard to explain but maybe someone out there knows what up.
I got a 2006 Hemi 5.7L with 277000km.

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When's the last time you did a full tune up for her? Including cleaning the Throttle Body and EGR Valve?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:26 PM
axeman_87
Amateur

Originally Posted by KasperR34
When's the last time you did a full tune up for her? Including cleaning the Throttle Body and EGR Valve?
Last fall changed EGR, new spark plugs, wiped out throttle body. I only wiped out because I read can't spray out due to sensors in there.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:50 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take off the throttle body and clean the whole thing. If it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly before, you will be surprised how nasty it is. As for the EGR valve, it is not unheard of for it to go bad, especially if the rest of the system is really dirty.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:32 PM
axeman_87
Amateur

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Take off the throttle body and clean the whole thing. If it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly before, you will be surprised how nasty it is. As for the EGR valve, it is not unheard of for it to go bad, especially if the rest of the system is really dirty.
Okay. Can I use a cleaner such as carb clean or brake kleen? I took it off last time and wiped it out as well. For my EGR would It go bad within a year?. What about EGR delete?

Old 09-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Yes, use brake cleaner, just be careful not to get it into the TPS module on the side. Check this link out from when I did mine about a month or so ago:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ttle-body.html

As for the EGR valve, yes, it can go bad in a year. It's not exactly unusual, though you'd expect a new part to last longer. I think the first time mine lasted a little over a year between going out. This current one lasted about three years until it was replaced about a year ago. Search out some info on the EGR valve here. As for the EGR delete, I'll let someone else take that one. I'm curious, too.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Mine did kinda the same thing. I figured out I broke a plug on top of my compressor line changing the oil one time. It would short out on the compressor and stall out. There's 2 plugs there might want to check them out.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There's also a vacuum line coming off the top of the brake booster that tends to rub and it you get a hole in it will cause just enough vacuum leak to stall at very low rpm. Just another thing you can check...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM
axeman_87
Amateur

So cleaned the throttle body, pretty dirty. Checked brake booster plugs, they still there and tight. A/C Compressor line are fine, I put a hose over top, years ago, to prevent rubbing thru. Cleaned air filter just cause, wasn't that dirty.. I'll see if any change happens.
Is there a way to test EGR or clean it?

Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I haven't watched it, so I don't know if it will apply to our trucks, but if you look up ChrisFix on YouTube, he has a video about cleaning the EGR valve. His stuff is usually pretty good.

Quick Reply: Stalling randomly