3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Condenser Fan vibration 2007 QC 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 AM
rover88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser Fan vibration 2007 QC 1500

My condenser fan vibrates really bad, with just the A/C on. It doesn't matter if the compressor is turning or not. I unplug the condenser fan and it quits, plus jumpered 13 volts to the fan from battery and its fine just a small vibration that you feel with your hand. So want turns this condenser fan on/off, is there a variable speed control or module for this or is it all in the computer module? Thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It is controlled by the PCM which gets inputs from the a/c button and a high pressure switch on the high side a/c line.

Have you checked the voltage at the fan with the connector plugged in and the a/c on?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vibration would be a damaged blade or bad bearing.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 PM
rover88

There is not a good way to check voltage with the fan plugged in and running, the vibration my be caused by the PCM not regulating speed control properly, is there speed control on this fan or is it just on or off? As stated in original post the vibration goes away when hooked straight to the battery.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 PM
rover88

As stated

Last edited by rover88; 09-16-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:24 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

my condenser fan had a balance clip/weight, when I took the motor apart to soak the bushing w/3 n 1 oil over night it was on the circular portion as the 3m adheasive came off

Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My condenser fan rattles like a ****. I'm not sure, but I think it started after some heavy off-roading. It was really muddy and dirty, and I could feel the vibration through the wheel when it came on. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly, but it might still be a bit out of balance... or I may have done permanent damage to it. I just keep my windows down here as much as possible, though I know that might now be an option where others are at. I hear tons of other vehicles with the same problem now that mine makes it, as well...

Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rover88
... the vibration my be caused by the PCM not regulating speed control properly, is there speed control on this fan or is it just on or off? ...
It's running or it isn't. Speed changes won't make it vibrate. It's slung a weight or more likely a blade is damaged.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM
rover88

If its a weight or balance issue why does it not vibrate when hooked straight to the battery, mmmm. A friend had the same problem on a car, changed the fan, the problem was still there.(was bad module) If its speed controlled and its done by cycling power on/off or changing voltage to the motor, it would vibrate. If its turned on then off, as it coast too stop then torqued on then off to a coast then torqued on again at a high rate, that would vibrate. Because when hooked straight to the battery the vibrate is all but gone. So that is the question does it have speed control from the PCM, if the power is oscillating from an electronic component or PCM. May have to figure a way to read voltage with fan hooked up and on.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Eron Soxx Simmons
Default 2003 Ram 1500 ac fan vibtaing badly!

so the other night my top radiator hose blew out in the elbow hole about the size of a tennis ball. Got the part and replaced easy, but now whenever i turn on the heat my steering wheel starts vibrating horribly, figured out it was heater/fan related. Opened the hood with heater on and it is the plastic fan assu on the driver side (from what i have researched this is the ac/condenser fan) not sure why this comes on when i am using the heater in winter but when i opened the hood i can visually see the entire assy vibrating and feel it also. Did the hose blowout short the speed, or cause a blade imbalance? The hose runs right above it so is possible that when it blew the fan got a shot of pressurized coolant. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Condenser Fan vibration 2007 QC 1500