3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

buying '06 RAM3500 - what do I need to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 PM
andreas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying '06 RAM3500 - what do I need to look for?

Hi, I am looking at a 2006 RAM3500 Cummins Mega cab with 97K miles. I was thinking I'd take it to a RAM dealer to check it out. Given year and mileage - what do you guys recommend I take a close look at? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total front end check out, if its 4wd, drive line u-joints, and front axle u-joints.
Total scan for any problems electronically.
The standard stuff, fluids, brakes check all the stuff in the whole truck for operation, window switches, door locks, the radio, if it has a cd player, plug in a cd and see if it works ok, heater and air fan, all speeds, climate doors for hvac------you get the idea

I'm sure more will chime in.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 AM
andreas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. From what I've read the front end on these trucks are either not very strong or people drive them too hard. This will be my 5th ram but only the second 4WD and the first one was bought new. I'll check the front end closely.
ECM question, I assume you can't tell if a performance map has been loaded previously on a 2006 or do they leave some kind of signature?
Thanks for your help!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think its that they are necessarily weak, the ctd is a lot of engine to suspend, true the dodge are not the best front ends, but knowing that front end components do wear, it won't come as a susprise when its time for a rebuild. My 3500 is due now, but I'll push it to next summer

Quick Reply: buying '06 RAM3500 - what do I need to look for?