3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blend door repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Swick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend door repair

Hi guys. Currently I've got my dash all taken apart to install a new double din stereo unit and while its all apart I want to get my blend door working again on my ac. Both actuators work; the hot/cold and the inside/ outside blend doors. What's going on is the little white plastic piece that the blend door actuator moves is just spinning and spinning and not moving the door. The door itself is there and moves freely, I can press it closed by hand and it does it's thing. Should it be permanently attached to the white piece or are they two separate pieces? I seen a couple of videos on youtube but nothing conclusive. Having it all apart already it does not look overly complicated to tackle. Any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 AM
abarmby
Champion

On the white (i believe) paltic end piece of the door, there should be a small plastic peg that the acutator uses to close the blend and other doors in our HVAC systems.
These small pegs over time, weaken and snap off. Also the ends of the doors where the white fittings push in, also become worn and damaged.
Result.... a door that just hangs or flaps about without control.
So to answer your question, yes they are two pieces. The blend door and the white fitting. But both items can and probably are damaged, causing the actuator to just spin as it cannot close the door.
You can get upgraded doors from Heater Treater and replace the doors seperately as I did, or buy stock MOPAR ones and run the risk of this happening again in the future.
Al.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

when I r&r all my doors the new ones had a metal tab so no more worries of plastic snapping when the door servo over extends a tad. I got mine from autozone but look at the part an make sure to not get plastic ones again if anything

Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 PM
mdone

Do the heater treater and just do all the doors. About 6 months after my blend door broke and I propped it halfway with a hanger just to get by, my recirc door broke. This would be a problem once winter hits so I gave in and replaced all 4 doors. Its a PITA but worth it.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you actually have the dash apart or just the center bezel removed?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Swick

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Do you actually have the dash apart or just the center bezel removed?
I have the dash apart all the way to the airbag. That's how I looked at the actuators and described the blend door components.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Swick

Ok, I just had a chance to pull out the blend door. Only took a second actually, wish I did it sooner. I am not sure how to get the little white plastic piece out that moves the door however. I'm sure there's a way to do this without breaking anything. Anyone?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Swick
Ok, I just had a chance to pull out the blend door. Only took a second actually, wish I did it sooner. I am not sure how to get the little white plastic piece out that moves the door however. I'm sure there's a way to do this without breaking anything. Anyone?
There is a way. Have the AC system recovered and then pull the whole HVAC box. Some clips and screws are removed allowing the box to open in two. You'll have 100% unrestricted access to properly R&R any broken components.

Or you can cut holes in the box and fix it with black duct tape, whatevs.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swick
I believe the coupler has 3 tabs that expand out after pushed through the hole to hold it in the housing. There have been several posts on these a search should turn up.
A link to similar fixes in Durango rear air doors may give you an idea for yours. My fix was in post #19..........

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...orks-fine.html

Quick Reply: Blend door repair