3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rust in rear wheel wells

Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
big guy what type of oil spray do you use and where do you spray it?very interesting.
I use rust proofing oil from Napa or CarQuest (in Canada) . Use to buy it for $79.00/5 gallon pail. Now up to $99.00.

I spray myself using a cheap undercoating gun. I bought a hose attachment many years ago from Napa to spray the inside of doors, tailgate, fenders, rockers and quarter panels.
I spray the entire under body of truck. Go easy on hood. Oil will eventually get on windshield and cause wiper issues. Even highway driving in heavy rain storms will cause issues. Probably don't even need to do hood.
If you ever have your front wheel well liners off this is a perfect time to spray inside the fenders. Other wise you have to use the hose attachment.
Drill doors to get easy access and spray inside. (pic attached) The rockers have 5??? holes already there. My truck has rubber plugs in them. Newer trucks have aluminum tape covering them. So easy to do there. The rear quarters and wheel wells I spray from on top of the bed as well as the bottom. I make sure this area is done well.
Use the attachment again up around the tail lights. Tail gate has holes already so spray inside as well.
That's pretty much what I do.
I have been cheating the last couple of years. Getting old and lazy I guess! My focus now is on the rear quarter panels and rear wheel wells, doors, rockers and tailgate.
The down side to oil spray is in areas that use sand. The sand will stick to the oil and build up over the years. Also a nuisance for the repair person. But it clearly works!
Not a bad a idea to have shop do it first time. That way they can drill the doors etc.

Attached Thumbnails Rust in rear wheel wells-201_0125.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's very common on the 3rd gen ram trucks as the bed is two pieces that were "pressed" together... the seem is perfect for holding salt and water and rusts from the inside out... most chop shops will charge 1,500- 2,500 per side to correct the issue... patch jobs can be done for less... fender flares will cover the issues for a while.. but they are costly and look stupid unless you upgrade your wheels and tires... drilling and painting bleeder holes will help drain these areas, but the rust will always prevail.. they call it the rust belt for a reason!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:58 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my truck, have a **** poor rust repair job that was done. I am going to probably fiber reinforced glass matt and durabond or another high end top coat and see if that will last me a bit. Plan is to get new side panels and remove/reinstall.

Question:

1.) has anyone tried to zinc coat their beds? I have purchased spray on zinc coatings on my old chevy truck, never had an issue once coated..

2.) rock guard spray before paint to give it a tough coating so the rocks and dirt and anything else the wheels kick up will not get it back to raw metal once painted?

3.) Has anyone been geeky enough to try an electronic anti rust device like they use in aviation to keep from having their body parts rust away? (I haven't seen this being discussed so I thought I would ask).

As I was feeling around it seems as though there are bolt/screw bungs on the inside of the wheel well. I have no idea why they are not siliconed or closed up in some way.

I am more than happy with my purchase as it is one badass truck, found out the shotty repairs after bringing her home and the rain stopped.. cab is ultra nice, no rust or crummy rust repairs, just dealing with the bed wheel wells..

Happy to join you guys, you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch.

-Black02CrCb

Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the problem is getting to the inside area between the outer skin and the truck bed.. there is a large gap above the rear wheel wells that hold salt and water... it is almost impossible to seal it well enough to protect it from salt damage..

Old 11-26-2015, 01:21 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by iwhitne
the problem is getting to the inside area between the outer skin and the truck bed.. there is a large gap above the rear wheel wells that hold salt and water... it is almost impossible to seal it well enough to protect it from salt damage..
Thanks for your insight. I am only a week into the ownership of my new truck, love love love it so far I have bought the epoxy primer from eastwood and it comes with a nice nozzle adapter for "fogging" interiors of frame rails. It makes me wonder if I could use that nozzle to get into that area.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Just to be clear I don't work at Eastwood..

Just came up on this video. Anyone familiar with any of their products? Working knowledge of them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust in rear wheel wells