3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 HEMI running rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:13 AM
DeadIronWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 HEMI running rough

So I recently picked up a 2004 Ram 1500 HEMI, knowing it had broken leaf springs on both sides (really broken, only the main left on both sides, don't know how the kid was driving it) but after a couple hours a couple codes came up as well as a very rough sporadic idle, jumping around from 500 RPM and almost stalling to 1500-2000 RPM and it did stall a few times. So it sat for a few days until the O2 sensors came in, they came in and I got to replacing them and saw the O2 sensors were OEM so I wasn't surprised there were codes coming up. Anyway, got them replaced and it ran fine for a bit but as of the last few days it's back to running rough and sputtering, sporadic idle 500 RPM and revving itself to 1500-2000 RPM. I've checked the plug cords for any frayed wires and connection but they look brand new so now I'm lost as to what the problem is. I start the truck, let it run for 5-10 minutes and let it do its sputtering (hasn't stalled since replacing the O2 sensors), get in turn it off and clear the codes and start it up again and go on my way without problem however, I have to do this every time I start the truck.
Any one have any ideas what the problem could be? Anything would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DeadIronWolf; 12-01-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

ICV good? Idle Control Valve might be gummed up. That is the valve that bypasses the blade on the throttle body that allows air in for your engine to run when you are not stepping on the gas (stopped at a red light). I know nothing about Mopar but know common symptoms. What are the codes that are being thrown?

You resetting it almost sounds like you have taken it out of some type of limp mode it gets its self into. Possible CPS (cam position sensor?) I am not sure. What are the codes?

You might need to do a general tuneup to get all the crap taken out of it, wires, plugs, cap/rotor, clean air filter, change oil.. that type of thing. Illuminate all the less expensive things.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe the 04 have egr valves. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong. If so I would check the egr valve for sticking.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM
DeadIronWolf

@Black02CrCb
The codes are P0141, P0135, P0131, P0155 and there were more that were O2 sensor related that I can't remember off the top of my head. And I haven't gotten to check much but a full tuneup is planned in the near future.

@TrueDogman
Yes it does have an egr valve, and I had gotten a P0404 code when I was first driving it last week but haven't gotten another code about it. I do however have a brand new egr sitting so I plan on changing that in the future too.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a mention of plugs. I bet it still has the originals in it. Put in a set of NGK 5306s, change/clean the PCV valve, and Sea Foam it. Be prepared to change the plug wires, too.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:30 PM
DeadIronWolf

Well I seemed to fix the idle problem, plugged in my Predator after updating it for the Ram and it updated the PCM and now it runs like new. Still getting O2 sensor codes which I'm not understanding as the O2 sensors are brand new.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

what wires is everyone running/best to get?

DeadIronWolf.. great to hear you are doing good. One issue I had on my older truck (chevy) was that the O2 wire got too close to the exhaust and melted. I am not sure on this truck if we have that issue or not. Have you checked the wiring? My electrical/IT background says Connections, connections.. connections.. ALWAYS check connections first..

Quick Reply: 04 HEMI running rough