3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RTV Gasket maker or gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RTV Gasket maker or gasket

Differential cover plate. RTV gasket maker or gasket
I like to get views on the two which do you prefer and which you think is better

Autozone. Gasket 5.99. RTV 7.49

Old 01-24-2016, 10:47 PM
abdodge1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I used a felpro gasket on the rear diff on my dads Chevy truck and it hasn't leaked.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 PM
GRed
Professional

Even though I do have some RTV to cover it and it would save me without buying the gasket. I have used it before on my other ram and it was fine then SHORTLY after it was stolen. I still might get the gasket though

Old 01-26-2016, 03:31 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always used RTV on diffs for both the truck and the Jeep. No issues.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 rtv

Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 PM
GRed
Professional

Thanks guys Im going with RTV I have plenty I used it on my last dodge and it worked great.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me personally I don't buy different types of sealants, I only stock Copper Permatex in my tool box. Its great at sealing anything you can think of on an vehicle, even EXHAUST pipes and manifold gaskets!.

I use it on everything, intake gaskets, manifold gaskets, exhaust joints, diff covers, standalone trans pan gasket, plenum gaskets (old 360 Magnums). I've even used it on those old leaky "bypass tubes" on the 318/360 magnum engines without one leak!. I use it in place of Teflon or pipe dope, works great for pipe threading & cooling system taps into turbo chargers & ect. My brother has even used it to seal the cylinder jugs to its block on a 80s 530cc Yamaha snowmobile engine that wasn't worth putting money into for the correct gaskets, 10 years later it still runs without a problem...very much so a believer in Copper Permatex.

I'm sure there are others that do just as good of a job, but I believe the copper works best for many situations because of the coppers thermal properties, and we all know how temperature can rip gaskets apart, plus I have a ton of experience with it and years of knowing what to expect with it. I've taken engines apart that I've sealed with the copper perm and the way the stuff sticks to the parts really gave me confidence that the seal would have held for many years, certainly beyond the scope of what car manufacturers built it to.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-28-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 PM
GRed
Professional

I can say one thing for sure, you don't want a leak once you put it back together. How easy does it clean up on the mating surfaces?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
I can say one thing for sure, you don't want a leak once you put it back together. How easy does it clean up on the mating surfaces?
The copper permatex usually sticks very well, I usually end up cleaning it off with a razor blade and/or wire brush attachment on a drill. A fine grit sanding pad on an electric sander does the trick as well. Sometimes depending on how smooth the surface you can get lucky and peel it off in decent chunks, but if the surface is rough it really sticks!. its currently sealing my diff cover just fine for the last few months.

As for leaking, if the surface is clean (I usually prep a surface to be sealed with copper perm with brake cleaner and wipe with blue paper shop towels) you'll never have to worry about leaks. On rare occasions there have been times when I haven't been able to get a surface perfectly clean and it still seals with no problem even with things like gas, oil & coolant residue. Obviously you don't ever want to have more than a residue on it and preferably have it perfectly clean for piece of mind.

Its great all around stuff, when in doubt on which sealant to use, just buy the copper it does it all!.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM
GRed
Professional

Is there anything about carb cleaner that I shouldn't use, because I do have that instead of break cleaner. I was going to do it today but I think I will hold off 1 or 2 more days for warmer weather. Im planning to use plastic scraper and soft scouring pad use RTV which indicates apply around all bolt holes and mount plate torque 20ft lbs and wait hr then torque to 30ft lbs. I appreciate everyone's input
Thank you
gary

Quick Reply: RTV Gasket maker or gasket