3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug boot removal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug boot removal question

Ok, I took one plug out to see what it looked like as well as how hard it was going to be when removed after 70900 miles and having this truck for a mo. I left gap (.045) where it was since it was only the one plug until I remove all of them. At this point Im not sure if there are original plugs or not. no history records.

I noticed when I finally got boot removed with little persuasion,(twisting) it broke free and getting plug out there was a little rubber ring on the base of the plug. This Im assuming from it being melted onto it and they never had silicone applied. however I did apply silicone on that one boot and elsewhere it needed before reinstalling.

is it best to remove boot with hot or cold engine to break that rubber melted seal it created, to make it easier to remove or does it matter. ideas are appreciated.

Thanks you
Gary

Old 02-06-2016, 04:41 PM
rex941
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 4.7L has two plugs per cyl. The ones directly under the coil were welded on to the spark plug ceramic and the boots were coming off the coil before the plug. I found the easiest way to deal with it was to break the plug then the boot would come right out, put new boots on the coils, new plugs and reinstall. Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, I appreciate it, mine seem like their just starting to do this, but Im pretty sure mine will come off. Im not going to wait any longer though before they get any more melted on. I was wondering for rubber that is melting is it easier with a cold engine or a hot engine to try to break that bond on them.. Just thinking ahead at this point.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 AM
rex941
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do mine with engine cold, mostly because I don't like getting burned so can't help you with that.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check Amazon and e-Bay for the socket that shreds broken boots or, you can make your own tool: Making An Inexpensive Broken Spark Plug Boot Removal Tool

Quick Reply: Spark plug boot removal question