3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New (2005) Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:37 PM
psal2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (2005) Ram 1500

Purchased a used Ram 1500. On the way home, oil pressure dropped. Noticed later the 4WD light doesn't come on but it feels like it is working fine. Researching this, I find the oil pressure sending sensor goes bad, the transfer case position switch goes bad. Figured also I am past the point in life where crawling under a vehicle is not in my reputoir. I did change out the driver head lamp (that blew as I pulled into the driveway. ..lol) but required sitting on a stool and not crawling under the truck. So here I am sitting at the dealer getting those first two items and two open recalls taken care of...not exactly the way I wanted to get to know the truck but I guess it is a start. I didn't expect it to be 100% perfect so I kind of expected some of this but not in the first week. I also figured since they will have it on the lift, to go ahead and change transfer case fluid.

Glad to be on the truck section now.

Pete

Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Buying used vehicles is a crap shoot. Never know what you're going to get.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 AM
colormeblue
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the risk of buying used cars.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM
psal2

Service replaced the oil pressure sending sensor and it still dropped. They didn't have the transfer case position switch in stock but will have it today or tomorrow. They did check out the 4wd and it works fine. Had the transfer case fluid replaced, just in case. The service manager couldn't believe the truck was a 2005. Said it was extremely clean and well maintained. That works for me. Now to figure out why the oil pressure drops every once in a while while stopped. Clog maybe?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 AM
psal2
Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 PM
psal2

Dealer replaced transfer case positioning switch so now 4WD lights up, replaced oil pressure sensor, and everything is running great (knock on wood). Love this truck.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

knock on wood.. good luck my man

Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Great to hear, welcome aboard.

I would recommend changing the front and rear differential fluid, as well. It's not hard to do, especially if you can find a lift. If you would rather pay someone else to do it, then there's no harm in that, either. It's quick and gives you/mechanic a chance to inspect the rear gears and retainer clip. Probably wouldn't hurt to change transmission fluid/filters, as well, if they aren't documented as being done in the past 20K miles or so.

Sounds like you got yourself a decent truck. 2005 is generally regarded as the best year of the 3rd gen, as it has all the early bugs worked out, and none of the electrical/suspension problems of the 3.5's of 2006 and later. If your mechanic says it's a clean truck, I'd be happy with that assessment. Small things do go on them, however. My driver's side headlight goes out about once every 12-15 months, but I do drive with Silverstars on all the time. After this last change a month or so ago I've started just keeping the driving lights on during the day and lighter hours. We'll see how the headlights hold up this time instead of being on 100%, 100% of the time...

My EGR valve (and others I've read about) tends to go south on a semi-regular basis. It's an easy fix and a $30.00 part every other year or so. At eleven years old, it's about time in the life of that big, heavy truck for front end suspension parts to start needing some love, so don't be upset if you find you need to replace all joints, tie rod ends, bearings, UCAs, etc in the near'ish future. Those are all items that wear out after time. You may have problems with them soon, or you may get another several years out of most of them. I'd inspect anything with a rubber boot on it (ball joints, tie rod ends, cv axle, etc) for damage. If they are torn, go ahead and have them replaced rather than wait for them to fail.

Glad you are enjoying your new-to-you vehicle. I love my 2005 and plan on driving it until it costs more to fix it than it does to buy something else.

*EDIT* That's a REALLY nice looking truck (just looked at the photo)! One thing stands out to me but, again, it's not out of the ordinary for these vehicles: I see snow. I see fender flares. These things are notorious for getting wheel-well rust in the rear on the bed, and the most common "patch" is sticking flares of it. So, just something to keep in mind, and if the rest of the truck is as clean as it looks, you may want to get any rust addressed before it becomes outright rot. Still, very nice!

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 02-14-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:21 PM
psal2

Thanks for the advice. Found one little rust spot away from the flares and already got the paint to take care of it. It needs to be inspected in 3 months and I will have the mechanic go over it thoroughly. I had the transfer case fluid changed and will get the rest done soon. I figured I would be spending some money on it. Bed inside has a longer and it has a trifold tonneau cover on it that is great shape too.

Quick Reply: New (2005) Ram 1500