3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:31 PM
mark402001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Headlight

Hello! I am not sure if I posted this in the correct place or not but this is what has been going on. I have a 2008 2500 4X4 6.7 stick shift with approximately 442000 miles. I will tell you all my issues. About 3 yrs ago I pulled into a flying J. When I got ready to leave I had a no start condition. It would turn over but not start. On about the 3rd try it cranked but when I let out on the clutch it died. I restarted it an it ran good for a long time. About a yr later I stopped to fuel up and when I got ready to leave I used the key to unlock the door manually. I put the key in turned it and nothing worked. After about 15 minutes it started and has been running fine ever since well until a couple days ago. I went out to crank my truck after sitting all night. It cranked on the second attempt and then died. It cranked right back up and been running good ever since. A couple yrs back I was totally stock and my
tail pipe tail pipe
was turning black. I stopped in to a dealer and they told me the DPF was cracked and needed replacing. Well needles to say I spent the money on a Smarty Sr. and did the California delete. I keep it set on 0 for fuel mileage since I use my truck commercially and sometimes have to go through road side inspections. Not sure how long ago but my
left front headlight left front headlight
went out on the low beam. Not a problem I replaced it and it worked good for a couple months then it went out again. I know not to touch the bulb itself and did not do that. Some times the bulb will last a few months or a few days. Some times the high beam burns out and sometimes the low beam. I replaced the front fog lights about a yr ago since one had a
cracked lens cracked lens
. The left front burned out a few months back and I replaced the bulb. Working fine ever since. This has been going on for a few yrs now. I even tried different brands of bulbs. I checked the ground wire and I seem to have a good ground. I have checked it with an ohm meter and get 0 resistance on the ground. I have also lost the lights on the AC/heat controls. A couple weeks ago the fuel gauge light went out but the needle is lit up. These issues I can live with. Also my power outlet on the right side of the dash has quit working too. The switch for the light load no longer works either. I found a factory service manual and it says that the
left front headlight left front headlight
is being burned out due to over charging. I checked my voltage at the batteries with a volt meter and I am getting 15.5 on each battery with the truck running. I cleaned both batteries and cables with no change in the voltage. The batteries are about 3 yrs old. I have not checked the voltage at the headlight yet. Also my
left rear back up light left rear back up light
has burned out twice and the break light once. I have seen on other forums that the PCM may be the issue. I am not one for going to dealers since most that I have been to don't seem to know what they are doing. I once had a code (don't remember what it was) and I watched the tech guy pecking on his computer and looking over his shoulder at my truck ever so often. LOL Dead give away that he did not have a clue as to what he was doing. Anyway they finally told me it was probably a bad turbo. No I did not replace the turbo. I did some online research and found that all I needed to do was clean the map sensor. That solved that issue. Anyway I would appreciate it if anyone knows how much voltage I should be getting to the headlight and any suggestions as to where to begin searching for a solution. Thanks

Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's quite a bit of reading there but to answer the question, there is a full 12v+ going to each bulb.

Quick Reply: Left Headlight