3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 RAM 4.7 add Cruise Control Switches

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:49 PM
totalrecall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RAM 4.7 add Cruise Control Switches

Like the title says I want to add cruise by adding the steering wheel cruise control switches. Talked to dealer while having a transmission service done and I may have confused things. First dealer is willing to help with programming if needed, but says when he pulls up my vin, and he uses a tablet computer for all this, the drawings don't show a cruise add kind of function.

I had started talking with him about electronic throttle control, but maybe I got him sidetracked, so for those of you that have added cruise, does electronic throttle even matter, can I just add the buttons and be done, even if my engine had a throttle cable?

Saw online somewhere that electronic throttle wasn't standard until later in 2007 maybe? This is really a Chrysler/Jeep dealer so while helpful, he doesn't see a lot of Dodge trucks, but I like the dealer so that's where I go.

Thanks for plowing through this, just want to know what I am doing before trying to add things.

Mike

Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On an 07 you still have a cable TB. Problem is, it's a CANbus vehicle so there is a 'configuration file' that is how your vehicle was built. According to the last dealer I went to, they can't change the config file, but they may be able enable them (like add on factory fog lights) once they are installed and the computer senses the addition to the network. You will still need the apparatus and harness to connect it to the truck. Hemi's (and 08+ 4.7's) don't have all that since it's an electric TB and the PCM controls it.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:52 PM
totalrecall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I might try it as there could be hope that adding the factory buttons would work. When surfing the internet it seems answers are all over the place for 06 and 07. That is some folks claim adding the buttons worked with no more programming, some say with programming and others have had no luck either way.

Mike

Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you figure it out, let us know, it doesn't apply to me but I am curious to know.

Quick Reply: 2007 RAM 4.7 add Cruise Control Switches