3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram, Help me choose between Hid and LED Headlight/Fog kit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have everything mounted and all seems to be working well, I got rid of these

http://www.opt-7.com/hid-kit-capacit...ncellors-pair/

as I have read that they are not need nor are they good for my year truck do to the high current draw, I noticed no difference with them in or out and them by themselves with out the Resistors still gave me the dash light and I had no high beam .I just used these

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2176/5076/

I have not taken them out yet and may not get to tonight as it is raining, I notice against the garage door Low beam seems a bit more scattered and the High beam seems more focused is this normal? I am only about 4-5 ft away.

Resistors are the Key to making these work I believe not sure why they are not included in the kits.

One thing I did notice is if I shut the truck off with the lights on If I try and turn the lights off then they will sometimes stay on, I have to turn the headlight switch back on then off.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:54 PM
justin0943
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe.G
I have everything mounted and all seems to be working well, I got rid of these

http://www.opt-7.com/hid-kit-capacit...ncellors-pair/

as I have read that they are not need nor are they good for my year truck do to the high current draw, I noticed no difference with them in or out and them by themselves with out the Resistors still gave me the dash light and I had no high beam .I just used these

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2176/5076/

I have not taken them out yet and may not get to tonight as it is raining, I notice against the garage door Low beam seems a bit more scattered and the High beam seems more focused is this normal? I am only about 4-5 ft away.

Resistors are the Key to making these work I believe not sure why they are not included in the kits.

One thing I did notice is if I shut the truck off with the lights on If I try and turn the lights off then they will sometimes stay on, I have to turn the headlight switch back on then off.
some of these plug in play resistor are wire for 9004 switch 2 wire in bam all works fine thats the reason why you only had low beam an you have to put them on the passenger side to an order to get rid of the light on the dash thats, as for leaving the light on when you turn the truck off thats normal. I love my profector headlight mine kinda retanular it give me a wider light but lose a little distance compare to the regular round

Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

I took the truck out last night and I got the Lights adjusted pretty close I think, The kit seems to work well, They are brighter then the LED's by far but I am not sure how much better then Stock they are but I also have them in tinted aftermarket housings. Hi Beam function works but is a lot more scattered then lo beam which I don't think is that scattered at all.

Next time I will go with a better kit and someone who offer real tech support, Not sure if the 55 W kit would have been better or not.

One thing I am not sure of is when O n High beam what position should the bulb be in, Pushed out toward the front of the head lamp or pulled back in to the base of the bulb.

All in all I am happy with the kit.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM
justin0943
Professional

thats normal for the light to be scatter are headlight suck that why you have to put projectors youll get more distance and width with them trust me once you do it you want go back and for the bulb when in high beam its suppose to be pulled back and also it dont matter what hid kit you get it just our headlight just suck for hid itll be brighter but man the light every where

Old 08-20-2016, 12:52 PM
justin0943
Professional

has anyone seen the new led supposedly their 40w an 4000lm a bulb that's brighter then 55w hid kits I planning on switching my 55w hid fogs for these so when I go from hi to lo I don't have to wait plus the led according to spec has more lm and their cob led those things are bright I change my interior light blind yourself when they come on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80W-8000LM-L...mea8Uw&vxp=mtr

Old 08-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

After trying LED's I can not recommend them to anyone, Not saying this kit is not better or worse But I know the ones I had were not safe for Headlights.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM
justin0943
Professional

Originally Posted by Joe.G
After trying LED's I can not recommend them to anyone, Not saying this kit is not better or worse But I know the ones I had were not safe for Headlights.
really i was thinking 4000lm a bulb thats brighter then my 55w hid i got now, for $30 I get them on the next check I order these an do a comparson for everbody.also what led did you have im just getting for my fogs

Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

If you read back in this post a bit it will have links to what I used, I just mailed them back yesterday for a refund, I did keep the Fog's in as I do like those.

Quick Reply: 04 Ram, Help me choose between Hid and LED Headlight/Fog kit.