3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 Hemi clank

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM
tony1556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 1500 Hemi clank

Hi everyone. I have a 2006 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD QCSB. This noise started about a month ago. I can't figure it out. It only happens during coasting and when I'm slowing down and it seems to be in sync with either the driveshaft or rotation of the wheels. If I apply the brakes then it stops. It might also occur when accelerating but I can't hear it over the engine or exhaust. I have a video on YouTube of the sound. Titled "2006 Ram Hemi 2wd Clank". This video was taken at about 15mph. Sorry for the wind. Anybody know what's going on?

Here's a link to the video:

Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

do you have a trailer hitch with the removable ball mount? Mine used to clank took months to figure it out lol

Old 04-15-2016, 11:20 AM
tony1556

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I checked that. I checked the bed mounts and just about everything that could rattle or shift. At first I thought the u joints could be shot but I changed those and still have the noise. I'm going to check the diff today to make sure nothing is wrong with it. But I don't feel anything physically wrong with the truck when I'm driving. Just the noise.

A side note though. Does anybody know how to diagnose a bad slip yoke? When I was changing the u joints it looked like I had worn teeth. They had a slight angle to them and I figured they would be more squared off. Thanks

Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Wheel bearings u joints

Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 AM
tony1556

Bump

I've been busy with work and school so I haven't been able to chase this problem much. But it is still occurring. I have replaced some worn suspension components and nothing has changed besides my rig handling better. So far I've changed out both UCAs and LCAs, outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, both hub assemblies, both u-joints and had the drive shaft checked for balancing issues. PO took great care of the engine and tranny but pretty much ignored everything else. Anybody have thoughts on what else I can look at? Unfortunately taking it to a shop isn't a real option right now because the cheapest place wants $180 just to look at it. And on top of that the shops in my town are all pretty shady.

New symptom: If I rest my foot on the brake while accelerating then there is no sound. And I mean just the lightest touch. Also when I apply the brakes at any time the sound stops until I release. And the sound doesn't occur for the first few minutes of driving. But starts up after a couple miles on the road, say 4 or so. I appreciate any help I can get and I welcome out of the box ideas. I just want to get this fixed because it's driving me nuts. Thanks

Old 08-19-2016, 11:27 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry. I can't get your video to play on my phone for some reason.
I would be looking at your brakes rotors and drums...my guess from your latest post. When you slightly apply brakes you are taking some slack up in the system. i.e. caliper float and pad to rotor clearance
By chance do you have a brake pulse when braking indicating warped rotors? How are the spring retaining clips for the brake pads? Just some things for you to think about. I'm only guessing but would focus on brakes. You could try switching pads and or rotors to opposite side as a test and see if noise changes.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hate to be That Guy, but $180 is less than the sum of all the money you've thrown into it with those other parts hoping to cure the problem by now. Spend the money, get it diagnosed, then fix it yourself if it is something you feel comfortable doing.

I agree with Dogman -- sounds like something with your brakes (my first thought reading your OP, as well).

Old 08-20-2016, 02:36 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1556
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I checked that. I checked the bed mounts and just about everything that could rattle or shift. At first I thought the u joints could be shot but I changed those and still have the noise. I'm going to check the diff today to make sure nothing is wrong with it. But I don't feel anything physically wrong with the truck when I'm driving. Just the noise.

A side note though. Does anybody know how to diagnose a bad slip yoke? When I was changing the u joints it looked like I had worn teeth. They had a slight angle to them and I figured they would be more squared off. Thanks
I'll help you here, my front drive shaft went bad, sounded like coins in a glass bottle. I though the spider gears got destroyed from 4.56 swap. Turns out, it as just the CV in the 4x4. May not applyl to you, but may be your cause in the RWD factor.

Do you have any suspension mods?

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 Hemi clank