3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Current leveling spacers on 07 but want a suspension lift! Combine or remove?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM
waynofish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current leveling spacers on 07 but want a suspension lift! Combine or remove?

I have a 2007 1500 4x4 quad cab that needs new shoes. I'm sick of polishing my polished wheels and my 35" Coopers are getting low on tread so I'm going to be going with new tires/wheels. I would like to keep them at 17's if possible as I drive on the beach and like being able to air those things down for an easy ride and maximum floatation!. I am currently running 2 3/4 inch spacers on the front and all is good.

So here is my delema. I am going to go with 37's and would prefer 13' wide if possible so I have been thinking of going the easy way out and adding a 3" body lift. Reading through the instructions on line makes it look quite involved but possible. i would prefer a suspension but costs have been ridicules for that years 1/2 ton. But I looked today and they seem to be just under or at a grand which is doable and look to be about as involved as a body lift (I have installed both suspensions and body lifts before on older vehicles).

First part of question (and most important) is what becomes of the current spacers? Since I need at least 6" of lift (just beach and cornfields) for 37's I don't think I could go with the 4" because, if the current spacers are kept, I'll only have a 2" boost in the rear making the truck sit front high. But do the current spacers have to be removed anyway, making the 6" lift with 4" rear blocks the one to go with? That, IMO, would be perfect as I would imagine the 6" would return the front ends geometry (due to lowered brackets) back to normal where as everything now is angled up another 2 3/4 inches. I did not install the spacers so I am assuming (yes I know, therefore I ask) once I disconnect the struts that I just take out the current spacers and go with the lift as if all was original? Does that sound like the way to go? (6" and remove current leveling spacers)

Next question is do I need to go with 18" wheels? The instructions I read state that I do or I can go with wheel spacers for stock 17's (not an option) I'm just wondering if a 17" wheel with a backspacing of -12mm. My current wheels are 17x9 Pro Comps with -6mm backspacing and they are fine. I'm assuming (there I go again) that the new lift knuckles are probably thicker and heavier then stock, therefore requiring a larger diameter rim to clear it?

Thanks for any reply's as I didn't see any of this on the sticky's and in a search.

Quick Reply: Current leveling spacers on 07 but want a suspension lift! Combine or remove?