3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

T-case, drive shaft and pinion angle HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Meat Sammich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-case, drive shaft and pinion angle HELP!

Fellas, I'm loosing my mind. My 2006 1500 4X4 with LSD has had a shake/Vibration for the last 40K. It's 180K miles now.

I've had the front AND rear ends rebuilt from wheel to wheel. A custom drive shaft installed and still have drive line "noise" and shaking at 60mph. 6 repair shops and thousands of dollars later I've arrived at drive shaft angles. I think I'm on to something.

The transfer case output 4.8 degrees (down angle, of course).
The drive shaft is also 4.8 degrees (perfectly straight - 0 degrees on front u-joint)
The pinion flange angle is 2.3 degrees (2.5 degrees on pinion u-joint)

I know the u-joints need to have the same operating angles to counter act each other. I'm guessing that when the rear suspension compresses (raising the pinion up toward the frame) the front u-joint is pushed into a "negative" angle (out of phase) causing serious binding.

Where to start? What are the original specs for those angles?
Replace the original leaf spring packs? Shim or lower the T-case? Motor mounts? ---- all of the parts check out fine. I personally think the leaf springs look like they've flattened a bit. Also the right side of the truck frame is 1/8 inch lower than the left.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifted? Bent wheel?

Quick Reply: T-case, drive shaft and pinion angle HELP!