3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical/lighting problem, completely lost

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Backup Lights

Both Backup lights are on the same wire from the TIPM to SPLICE 325 at the rear of the truck.
This splice is where the wires to the left and right backup lights connect together.
The wire for trailer backup lights is connected here, too.
This wire is WHITE/LIGHT GREEN from the TIPM to tail lights.
If the right backup light does not work. the problem is after the splice. Get your meter, and see if you have 12 volts on the WHITE/LIGHT GREEN wire at the right tail light.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-16-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb Right Rear Turn , Tail, and Brake Lights

The wire for the Right Rear Turn Light comes from TIPM Connector 6 pin 6. It is a WHITE/YELLOW wire and it goes to Connector 135 pin 7. From there it goes to the right rear lamp.

The Right Rear Tail/Park Light power comes from FUSE 16 in the TIPM on Connector 9 pin 10 to SPLICE 106, then to Connector 135 pin 17, and from there to the right tail light. It is a WHITE/GRAY wire.

The Left and Right Brake Light power comes from TIPM Connector 6 pin 7 to SPLICE 111, then to Connector 135 pin 14, then to SPLICE 351.
It splits here and goes to both left and right brake lights.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:38 PM
maddog2424
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! thanks for that info!! That was exactly the info i was missing . I'll check into that stuff this week.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM
maddog2424

Okay, i did some multimeter work this morning. Now i'm even more confused. FYI, i didn't test everything you guys listed because i'm color blind and can't tell which wire is which, but i did find the turn signal wire.

I am getting a 14V potential between ground and the working lights. With engine on, I am getting mV to the turn signal wire, which makes sense because its very dim. With engine off and key in accessory position, i am getting 12V potential between turn signal wire and ground. I didn't try the reverse lights or brake light yet, but my suspicion is that its the same problem (need a helper to do those).

At the battery, engine off, i'm getting 12V, engine on i'm getting 14V. Another odd thing i saw, with lights off and engine off, i was getting negative voltage between ground and the other wires. Yes, i am aware that it matters which wire you put on which. keeping my black wire on ground, placing the red wire on the turn signal made +12-14V, and moving the red wire to the other wires gave me -2V.

I did a continuity check on the ground wire to bare metal on the body, and i have a good ground.

When i get a helper that can see colors, i'll break it down by wire what i was seeing.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Question

With engine off and key in accessory position, i am getting 12V potential between turn signal wire and ground

Is this with the turn signal switch off? There should be no voltage there with the turn signal switch off.

Do hazards work ok? Probably not.
Do you have trailer wiring installed?
Have any wiring modifications been done?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 AM
maddog2424

With turn signal on. I have trailer wiring but haven't tested it. No wiring modifications that I know of. Looks stock to me

Emergency flasher on the right rear doesn't work

Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Smile

Having problems with the website tonight.

It seems that these problems were passed on to you by the previous owner.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3302366

Looks like he should have done a lot more than clearing codes.
Did he have any explanation for any of the problems?
Have any of the codes come back?

Tackle these problems one at the time. Trying to understand and fix them all at the same time is confusing and time consuming, if not impossible.

I think in order to isolate the causes of these lighting problems, the wiring is going to have to be disconnected from the TIPM so you can do end-to-end testing of each wire in these circuits.

Test for end-to-end continuity. This will require 2 people or a jumper on one end.
EDIT: That ground is still questionable to me. Make sure that the ground is good all the way to the battery.

Test for shorts to ground, power, and each other. This can be all done at one end. Once the wiring is determined to be good, finding defective electronics is easier.

I will help all I can, and others are welcome to advise.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-26-2016 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Ground check
Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

The brake light circuit from the TIPM is a single wire that goes to the rear where it splits and goes to both left and right rear lights, and left works ok. The problem is in the right bulb, socket, ground, or wire to the right side.

Also the same logic applies to the backup lights. Single wire from the TIPM to the rear where it splits into separate wires to left and right side. Left works. The problem is in the right bulb, socket, ground, or wire to the right side.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 AM
maddog2424

The codes haven't come back since being cleared and a lot of the things worked that the codes said didn't.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of going one at a time. I was getting overwhelmed trying to solve all at once. Ill be on vacation this week but will play around with the truck hopefully this weekend.

I did think it may be the tail light circuit board, so I went ahead and replaced that since it was 10 dollars. It didn't fix anything. I cleaned the plug connector because it was dirty and that also didn't fix anything. So I don't think it's the circuit board or the plug.

Appreciate the help!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

Thanks, now you can rest easy, knowing that the tail light assembly isn't a part of the problem. Check.
Enjoy your vacation.

Quick Reply: electrical/lighting problem, completely lost