3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to align distributor correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Mrgamiochipi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to align distributor correctly

I have a 5.2 318 2003 and took off the distributor with out marking it. Is this the correct procedure for installing it?:

Put #1 plug on TDC compression stroke, ensure that the distributor rotor is pointing directly to #1 lug, ensure your crank shaft is at about 6 degrees BTDC.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Mrgamiochipi

Anybody know?

Old 08-21-2016, 03:02 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

6 degrees is not right when mechanically setting. The procedure below still needs to be done after you get it installed. Even if you get it aligned correctly and running you still need to get this procedure done. It's called "Setting Sync Signal". It is to align the cam and crank sensor signals. If you don't do this, you may run lean or rich depending on NEG or POS signal, causing pinging or burning too much fuel.

You also may need to turn the oil pump drive to mate with the distr shaft prior to putting it in.
  1. Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below and to left of steering column.
  2. Gain access to SET SYNC screen on DRB.
  3. Follow directions on DRB screen and start engine. Bring to operating temperature (engine must be in “closed loop” mode).
  4. With engine running at idle speed, the words IN RANGE should appear on screen along with 0°. This indicates correct distributor position.
  5. If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is displayed next to degree number, and/or the degree displayed is not zero, loosen but do not remove distributor holddown clamp bolt. Rotate distributor until IN RANGE appears on screen. Continue to rotate distributor until achieving as close to 0° as possible. After adjustment, tighten clamp bolt to 22.5 N·m (200 in. lbs.) torque.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-21-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Mrgamiochipi

Thanks for the reply! I don't have access to a DRB scanner but the pictures helped. Ill set it directly on the marks for now and search for the cheapest option on getting things synced with the DRB scanner. Just out of curiosity do you know typically how many degrees the distributor needs to be rotated?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one if you're close to MD. I'm still back on the part where you have something 2003 with a 318...what vehicle is it?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Mrgamiochipi

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I have one if you're close to MD. I'm still back on the part where you have something 2003 with a 318...what vehicle is it?
It's a Dodge Ram van conversion. Had to pull the engine to change out the oil pan gasket so I just put a full new engine seal kit (heads, plenum, rear main seal, ect...) on and forgot to mark the distributor. I'm a ways a way in NC but thanks for the offer!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:48 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgamiochipi
It's a Dodge Ram van conversion. Had to pull the engine to change out the oil pan gasket so I just put a full new engine seal kit (heads, plenum, rear main seal, ect...) on and forgot to mark the distributor. I'm a ways a way in NC but thanks for the offer!
Ah ok. Then dealership it most likely is.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's funny....a guy brought a 2001 in today and needed the sync signal set after he did a distributor.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-22-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mrgamiochipi
Just out of curiosity do you know typically how many degrees the distributor needs to be rotated?

Just depends on the variance between different parts. Nothing in stone.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Mrgamiochipi
Default Sorry to revive this thread but...

So I got quoted over a 100$ to set the timing at the dealer.... Which is enough to make me wonder if I Can use my scanner to zero out the timing. It shows how many degrees off TDC it is, can I just zero it out? Does a DRB do anything special and absolutely nessesary?

Quick Reply: How to align distributor correctly