3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 Ram short bed with 4.7, randomly dies, 2 times at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Tallone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Ram short bed with 4.7, randomly dies, 2 times at stop lights

second time it has just up and quit like you turn the key off, this time driving for 30 miles wife and I notice the dash lights flickering, had not noticed the time it died previously. Anywho, pulled up to stop sign, no warning, truck just shuts off, I put truck in park, try to restart, nothing, no dash lights, no clicking, nothing. Get out pop the hood, check cables, nothing loose, checked ground, good and snug. Get back in vehicle I notice "DOOR AJAR" light on dash, turn the key, starts up no isses and now the lights are NOT flickering..

What the ???

Thoughts? Battery new last fall.

Oh one month ago, I had an issue where I left our popup camper plugged into the truck over night, forgot that keeps fridge running. Obviously battery was deader than a doorknob next morning, jumped it and all was good. And previous mysterious engine shut off fiasco was late last summer, before battery change and well before draining battery this year..

Thanks

Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when it dies does the truck throw any codes? I'm thinking the crank positioning sensor is on its way out.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:11 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the CPS.

Also could be the ignition switch. It's cheap and easy to change, we had a similar problem with my buddies 04 QCSB 4.7. It ended up being both.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Tallone

No codes, motor just shut off

Old 10-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Tallone

Originally Posted by KasperR34
+1 on the CPS.

Also could be the ignition switch. It's cheap and easy to change, we had a similar problem with my buddies 04 QCSB 4.7. It ended up being both.
Went to parts store, ( 3 different stores), they had 2 choices, neither were in stock, one was the actual key switch cylinder and the other was a box...

This morning truck would not start, tapped the key and then tried it...it started.

That leads me to believe the actual key cylinder..., but if memory serves, on my old S10 anyhow, the key switch only pulled a rod that was attached to a box... Are the Dodge's different?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Tallone

Well, I better understand now, the "key" switch itself is not the issue but the electrical box that it moves....Found all that and will change soon. I am guessing the "key" switch is the one rarely replaced but the "ignition switch", as they call it, is the one that fails..

Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallone
Well, I better understand now, the "key" switch itself is not the issue but the electrical box that it moves....Found all that and will change soon. I am guessing the "key" switch is the one rarely replaced but the "ignition switch", as they call it, is the one that fails..
Yep that's it. My 05 had the same problem. Replaced the ignition switch and all is good now

Quick Reply: '05 Ram short bed with 4.7, randomly dies, 2 times at stop lights