3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd E-Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM
wpuryear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd C-Code

In trying to troubleshoot an inoperative speedometer, 2005 Ram 1500 4wd, I performed the instrument cluster actuator test and received the error "09" which is not in the failure list. Anyone know what's up with that?

The transmission and differential speed sensors are ok and all wiring and connectors look good.

Thanks - Walt

Last edited by wpuryear; 10-25-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ABS, Airbag, Cluster, Body codes have Names, the powertrain codes have number designations.

On a 2005 Ram, the diff speed sensor is the speedometer info, routed first through the ABS module, which is where pinion factor is set. If your ABS or RWAL is defective, it can interrupt it.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:48 AM
wpuryear

Thanks. Made an error and said E-Code instead of C-Code, have corrected the first post.

Walt

Old 11-08-2016, 03:01 PM
wpuryear

I’d like to return to this subject because I could use some further advice. Symptoms are abs and brake lights on and speedometer only working above 25 mph.

I replaced the differential speed sensor as the old one had physical damage. Jacking up the rear end and running at idle, an oscilloscope shows a nice sine wave running about 8 volts peak to peak. The sine wave frequency increases with rpm.

Voltage on the CAB output pin is 6 volts unless the wheels are turning and it drops to around 5 volts. On test runs, I could see a square wave pattern very intermittently, but it was mostly missing so I assumed the ABS module to be the culprit. Picked up one on eBay but it displays the same symptoms.

Does this indicate my replacement control module has the same defect or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks - Walt

Last edited by wpuryear; 11-08-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:33 PM
wpuryear

Finally problem solved. Replaced the transmission speed sensor with no luck, sent the abs module (rwal) off for repair and was told it was unrepairable. Purchased a second transmission speed sensor and voila, joy in Mudville.

Walt

Old 11-20-2016, 08:27 PM
ocdropzone
Record Breaker

Joy in mudville is a good thing