3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird electrical issues with 02 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 AM
pallysrules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical issues with 02 Ram

Hi guys, I've been having some weird electrical problems with my truck and was hoping someone here had run across this before.

I have a 2002 Ram 2x4 SLT with the 4.7

During the summer (live in Mississippi so it gets pretty hot) when it would be really hot, I noticed that sometimes the horn would go off by itself. The wipers would sometimes engage by themselves also. It was odd because as soon as it cooled off, all of this stopped. I've had the ignition wiring harness changed because of the blower motor recall, so I decided to change the actual ignition switch. It was definitely burned on the contacts, but changing it made no difference. When it was hot, randomly horns/wipers go nuts.

About a month ago, I heard a weird noise come from what sounded like under the dash. it quickly went away and I thought I was just hearing things. I then noticed when i got home that I didn't have any brake lights. Then I noticed the headlights stay on anytime the key is in the run position no matter the switch placement. Also, the horn no longer works at all, and the wipers don't work either.

I searched around on google and noticed a few people with similar issues were saying classic ECM failure. It made sense, so I got a replacement ECM on Amazon from Cardone and installed it. It make no difference. Still no horn, no brake lights, no wipers, headlights stay on all the time.

I'm not really sure what else could be going on. I've looked around under the dash for anything burned, but I can't find anything.

Has anyone run into this before?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 PM
SquirmyPug
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds about like what happened to my truck, 2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L. Took it to the dealer after another shop had it for a while. Had to replace the TIPM, FCM, and BCM. It wasn't a cheap fix.