3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:54 PM
highvoltage23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Electrical Issues

I need to explain what we did to create this issue, in order for you to tell me what we did.

A friend of mine asked me to install a remote start system in his 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. Sure I can do that. I have done several in the past. I have even installed them on the newest cars on the market. But, I have never installed one on a Dodge Ram.

The install was going as usual I never "cut" wires. I stripped the shield off of all the wires and soldered the "tap in" wire to the bare wire. He stated that we did not need to connect the parking lights or the break lights to the system. So, I did not connect them. Well, to program the remote to the new remote start, we had to connect the break wire. As i connected to e break wire, I also connected the parking light wire.

This time, when we powered the system up, we programmed the remote start. Then things started to seem strange. The headlights came on. The 2007 Dodge Ram did not have daytime running lights. I reached up to turn them "Off", but the switch was already in the off position. We turned the truck off, and tried to turn the headlights on....Nothing. This is were everything goes bad.....

The following electrical switches do nothing.

Headlight
Cargo Light
Washer Fluid
Wipers
Turn Signals
Hazards
Fuel Gauge
Dome lights
4x4 switch
Dimmer

Also, the check engine light was on prior to the issues. Now it is out.

We worked on this thing all day Sunday. I thought it was the TIPM. So we took it to the dealer to "Reset" the TIPM on the following Friday (today). They reset it, and the problem still persists. $99 later, we have the same problems.

I am at the point to were i am going to trace all of the power to and from the switches. Any help would be greatly appreciated