3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold air intake help

Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 AM
TheGamerBlake101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake help

HI i was wondering if i should get an CAI for my 2002 dodge 1500 4.7L , and i was gonna to ask what brand,enclosed,open ,or whats the best thing to do to my truck i have money and an complete exhaust system. thanks

Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Cold air intake won't do anything but make noise and add engine compartment bling. Best thing you can spend your money on is a tuner. Search the forum. There is tons of information on whatever you are thinking of doing.

This will start you on your quest to waste money.....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...r-intakes.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Hatch

What jkeaton said.^

I have decades of experience acquiring several PO'd vehicles with CAI and oil/gauze filter "performance" intakes. In every case, after meticulously maintaining and using these systems per mfg. spec, something I discovered that NO ONE ever does (too labor intensive, messy and time consuming for anyone I have ever known who runs them) I have converted back to OEM or other dry element filter. In each case the move back to OEM restored full filtering capability back to superior OEM levels with no performance drop, and I believe also achieved both mileage and air flow performance improvements over the K&N.

When I inherited a K&N CAI with my PO'd '06 1500 4.7L 4x4, my first move was to spend a full day going thru 3 repeat hot wash-rinse-dry cycles to get the filthy, loaded up, dried out element clean enough to properly re-oil. I have never seen anyone properly maintain an oil/gauze air filter like this. Spraying on the K&N cleaner and oiling it per advertisement, without the effort of proper cleaning, drying, and prep for re-oil DOES NOT anywhere nearly restore even the sub par filter performance K&Ns are capable of, let alone optimum. When they dry out, they pass more and more dirt and larger and larger particles. The inside of the air tube and throttle body on my truck were coated with grit, as usual with K&N. Oiled gauze filters pass up to 14 micron particles. OEM filters typically pass up to only 4-5 micron particles. The usual K&N clean and re-oil mess dominated my workshop for 2 days, as usual. If I could have found a used OEM airbox, I would have put it in a heartbeat but most fools apparently just throw them away when they install the CAI crap and there weren't any to be found.

When I got some more time, I spent another couple of days fabricating custom brackets and fittings for a replaceable, hard mounted dry element filter for the K&N "hot air intake" box, which had previously floated the K&N element with the engine inside the box. It was previously open on the engine side so the engine can rock on it's mounts without ripping out the air box.

It was a piece of work to engineer the conversion to sealed box and hard mounted dry element, not to mention somewhat expensive, but well worth the effort. I sectioned the K&N glass filled nylon air tube to fit an Airraid bump coupler to allow the engine to rock on its mounts without destroying the hard mounted new replaceable dry element and box. The K&N air box was then properly sealed above the RHS exhaust manifold. I believe this dropped intake temps relative to the K&N setup by actually drawing all incoming air from forward in front of the fender as it should be, instead of above the exhaust manifold, though I have no temp measurements on this.

In any case, I trashed the K&N filter element and freed myself from the recurring headaches and mess, stopped pumping K&N grit into the engine, stopped sucking hot air into the airbox, and installed the best dry element OEM filter I could find to fit inside the K&N open box and that I could also get to seal properly on the engine side, allowing actual relatively COLD AIR operation NAPA Gold 200171 (WIX WA10171 for '16 Corvette).

I have repeatedly proven to myself beyond any doubt that CAI and "performance" intakes are designed first and foremost to separate fools and idiot kids from their money.

Rant mode off. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hatch; 03-22-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Ron380
Amateur

I did the PVC or "sewer pipe mod" on mine. It just replaces that big, ugly box on top of the engine with smooth pipe with smooth corners. I painted mine black and it looks good. That, plus replacing the Y-pipe and muffler with Magnaflow units gained me 2 mpg.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if the cai removes a resonator box built into the induction system it will actual reduce airflow. the factory resonator box stops airflow baffling created when the incoming air hits the throttle plate.
cai are jewellery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold air intake help