3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What size lift can you put on a 2004 Dodge Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Joshh8120
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What size lift can you put on a 2004 Dodge Ram?

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that I'm wanting to lift. I want to go as high as I can without having to change anything. Some people have said you can only go like a 4", some have said you can do a 6" no problem and some said you can even do a 9"....so I don't know what to believe. I don't do any off-roading, I just want an aggressive look. Also what brands are best? I don't want to empty my bank account when I'm not going to use it for off-roading. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Check out the threads in this section regarding body and suspension lifts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-how-tos-133/

Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A TRUE "PAVEMENT QUEEN"!! And you want it CHEAP. HUMMM !! YOU wont be getting any change with out cash outlay!It will become HIGH MAINTANCE WITH just the look you want.And it will never be in the garage again.From ground too top of cab at 13 ft. Being able to walk under the truck without ducking,AAHHH YES.More area to clean and wax. Visit the above sites with calculator just too scare yourself ,the cost will depleat a bank account in a matter of 5 or 6 parts getting to the look your after and thats before tires and wheels.I have friends that went the route of the pavement queen,investing $$$$$$$ of dollars and never using the truck again for fear of getting it dirty.Decide what you really want to do with the ride,Then spend the money.Just a thought..........

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone gets to do what they want with their own vehicle -- that's the joy and virtue of spending your own money on it, and not someone else's. As long as he is happy with it, we are of no mind to criticize.

You can find "cheaper" lift kits, like Rough Country and Pro Comp, but you get what you pay for. You'll get the bare minimum to get it up to height, and most of the components aren't very durable. Since you get the bare minimum, a lot of those components will stress stock parts with geometry they were never meant to continuously operate at. Ergo, premature failure and replacement. Just search around the internet for lift kits and you'll find the range from a few hundred dollars, to five figures. Without crazy modification, 6" is probably a good height.

What size tires do you plan on putting under it? With stock components, I wouldn't go any bigger than 35". Plan on about $1K for tires/wheels if you are buying new... at least. Depending how big you go (and I'm guessing you are not gentle on the skinny pedal if you are just after the image -- I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just an honest observation/inference), take your gas mileage into account, too. You might see that go down into the single digits.

Not trying to scare you off from doing what you want to do. To agree with Cruzer, in a slightly less abrasive fashion, understand what you want and what you want it to do, and then work from there. If you want a street queen, there's nothing wrong with that. Ain't my thing, but ain't my money, either. Look at the link provided above and do some research. Then, let us know if you have any specific questions we can help you with.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Joshh8120

I'm already running 35's and a leveling kit no problems whatsoever. It already looks aggressive, but I'm wanting to lift it up. The reason I said I don't want it for off-roading is because I don't plan on banging and scratching this truck up like I did to my previous Jeep. Sure I'll take it in the mud and get it dirty, but not rock crawling to where I would need top of the line suspension...I just want something that won't break my bank, but give me a good lift. So I can go 6" without having to change anything?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Different kits will supply different parts. It also depends on what you classify as "not changing anything". If you are already on 35's and are looking to go as cheap as possible, you could just throw a 3" body lift on it for $300 +/- and still be bigger than 80% of the other trucks on the road (unless you are in Texas).

Do some searching on here and read through the threads and builds. You'll find some good information. Please keep all future postings on the subject in this thread, please.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Joshh8120

Yeah, I've been looking into doing a 3" body lift for now. I've done quite a few mechanical things to my vehicles, so I know I'm able to but a body lift on, I just wish there was some better information out there as to how to properly do it. I know the basics, but don't know what all has to be cut or drilled

Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Any kit will come with instructions. Probably a you tube video or two as well.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I know the Performance Accessories 3" BL kit comes with very thorough instructions (or at least used to, anyway...).

Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Joshh8120

I looked for YouTube videos, but couldn't find one for my year model