3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird sputtering problem

Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sputtering problem

I just bought a 2003 ram 2500 5.7, 75k miles. I have been driving it for about 500 miles and this issue has happened 4 times, once pulling out of a parking lot, once putting the truck into park after a drive and twice after pulling out of a spot from going from reverse to drive. What the trucks does, when i try to accelerate, the engine sputters, almost like fuel starvation, take my foot off the accelerator, then its fine. The time in the driveway, i just waited a few seconds and the idle returned to normal. under normal driving conditions, the truck reuns great. no acceleration or shifting issues. Any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:51 PM
dss56
Professional

I would clean the IAC on the throttle body it might be all gummed up with carbon.
Also you might have a fuel pump on its way out.
Also fuel injectors might be clogged get some injector cleaner and add to gas run for a few days and see what happens.

You can also do a fuel pressure test.

Get it done before you break down/good luck

Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Tyler Harrison

Get the codes read. It's more than likely am egr valve. Mine did the same thing. I put a new egr valve in it and it went away. Really easy to do by yourself as well

Search this Thread