3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 light on in 2H, goes off in 4H

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM
mathias1356
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 light on in 2H, goes off in 4H

Hey everyone,

First time posting but I've been using the How tos for a while now, fantastic work all around. I tried searching but only seemed to come up with similar issues with Gen 2, not sure if it would apply to my Ram.

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 5.9L and after I did a little offroading today I went to throw my truck back into 2H and the 4WD light stayed on. Did some fiddling with it and found that the light will go off in 4H but the 4x4 is clearly still engaged in the 4H position. Drove it home in 2H with the light on and it rode fine for the most part with no wheel hop or anything, just maybe some resistance? Cant tell if its in my head or not.

Any ideas on what it may be? I saw that Gen 3 is supposed to be electronic but I have a manual lever on the floor to switch it from to 2 to 4 so Im at a loss