3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric fan conversion

Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

huh, I suppose i never paid attn to the E-fan and only the E-WP.
Do you have a T-rex inline pump or do you have one of those crappy BAP's?
I only ask because I'd think about upgrading your battery to more reserve capacity or get a larger amp alt.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have that same fan on my Mustang. $16 at Pull-A-Part with warranty.
Low speed draws about 15amps. High speed draws 42 amps!!!! Better have some heavy duty wiring and relay for high speed. Low cools my car fine. You need either a Taurus/Sable 3.8L from about 88 to 95 or a Continental of the same vintage 3.8L.

NOTE: the post in the DIY section is from the old forum and the picture links need to be redone. They do not work any more!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
no, I've seen dyno's before and after an e-fan at KRC, it frees up about 8-10 RWHP, and I agree with AF, I saw a good 1.5 mpg increase after I did the Flex-A-Lite.
If you get one that uses a probe and it's own thermostat, you can set it to turn on/off at any temp you like. So you don't have to mess with the ecu.
The e-fan is without a doubt the best mod that I have done for improvement of MPG's. I have the controller with the adjustable thermostat and it is nice to be able to dial in exactly what temp the fan kicks on and off at.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 PM
02 4.7 Durango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efan taurus mod

really thinking about this can someone outline diy for dummies here how to do the tauras mod, also at what temp does the durango's from closed to open loop or is that back wards, i mean there are various lower than stock t stats..

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
The e-fan is without a doubt the best mod that I have done for improvement of MPG's. I have the controller with the adjustable thermostat and it is nice to be able to dial in exactly what temp the fan kicks on and off at.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 AM
WWJD
Veteran

there is enough info out there. I wish I had time to make a complete run down for ya.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...installed.html

Try this thread, i have some links that got me started. Also look in thee DIY section. Off road teacher has a good thread to get started with. The hardest part is the wireing. The rx7 link has a good wiring chart to follow. Finding the ignition control power is fun too. pm me is you need some specific help.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not hard at all really. I pulled my shroud and removed my clutch fan, mounted my taurus fan to the rad using SS bolts and nuts and put the shroud back on. Then I wires it up according to the Hayden adjustable controller I got from Advance Auto. Is there anything specific you need? Ive got pic in my sig BTW

Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM
KSutherland
Amateur

just checking the thread for info on the e-fan conversion and resurrecting it again ... lol

and even after this I still can't find the DIY on the E-Fan conversion .... lol @ myself

Last edited by KSutherland; 03-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KSutherland
just checking the thread for info on the e-fan conversion and resurrecting it again ... lol

and even after this I still can't find the DIY on the E-Fan conversion .... lol @ myself
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...c-fan-diy.html

Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
KSutherland
Amateur

Thank you very much

Old 05-28-2015, 04:06 PM
My360
Professional

know this is a bit late but figured I'd chime in if anyone else is interested.

I snagged a electric fan from the scrap yard off a '04 grand Cherokee, the straight 6. Fan and shroud was less than 20 bucks, fits the rad of a 3rd gen nicely (had to come up with a new overflow tank) and cools great!
The 4.0's were notorious for overheating so these e-fans are more than enough for that engine and work great with the hemi.
Not as nice as a flex-a-lite but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric fan conversion