3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing factory uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:50 AM
chiledude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing factory uconnect

ORIGINAL: spristas

Did you Ram have a connection for the mirror/mirror plug? Was the mirror plug on the passenger side or driver side?
My ram came with the auto dimming day/night mirror, the harness for it was routed over and down the passenger A pillar. At the base of the pillar where it meets the dash it is plugged into another connector. I replaced the the mirror with the uconnect mirror and also replaced the wiring harness with the proper harness for uconnect. I removed the pins in the plug at the dash a used the ones needed for the day/night functions. the rest I removed and installed wire crimp connectors and connected them to the uconnect telematic module that needs to be installed for uconnect. I didn't take any pictures because they would be the same as what is posted in the LX forum link I posted earlier. I am taking my truck to the dealer tomorrow to update the FCM module so it knows that uconnect is there. It works as is but have read that the computer needs to be updated of its presence.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:26 AM
chiledude

Had the dealer update the computer for the presence of UConnect and all is well, it didn't change the functionality of the Uconnect but at least the FCM knows it's there. FWIW making the harness was fairly simple once you have the connectors and the schematics...worthwhile upgrade in my opinion...

Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Ram04Rules

ORIGINAL: chiledude

Is anyone besides me attempting this upgrade?
I definitely want to do this, but am still trying to figure out what p/n's I need. I have the 6-disc in-dash changer with the Dodge Sirius satellite radio installed. The Sirius receiver harness plugs into the 10-pin jack on the radio, so there's nowhere left to plug in the UConnect that the schematic shows also has to plug into the 10-pin on the radio.

If anyone else has run into this and come up with the solution, please let me know.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:59 AM
chiledude

ORIGINAL: Ram04Rules

ORIGINAL: chiledude

Is anyone besides me attempting this upgrade?
I definitely want to do this, but am still trying to figure out what p/n's I need. I have the 6-disc in-dash changer with the Dodge Sirius satellite radio installed. The Sirius receiver harness plugs into the 10-pin jack on the radio, so there's nowhere left to plug in the UConnect that the schematic shows also has to plug into the 10-pin on the radio.

If anyone else has run into this and come up with the solution, please let me know.
There should be a 22 pin plug in addition to the sirius plug on the back of your head unit. You'll need a separate harness that uses a jumper from the stock harness plug to the radio, it has the extention to the uconnect module and mirror. So far no one is making an after market harness everyone I've spoken with is making thier own harness. Any experienced dodge parts department can order the right parts for you.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Ram04Rules

Yes, the 22-pin C1 connection is where the tap-in for power, PCI bus, etc will be made. I have no problem making the harness.

My quandry is that the schematic in the '04 service manual shows that pins 8, 9, & 10 from the hands-free module connect to pins 6, 1, & 2 of C2 in the radio, respectively, for the Left Audio Output, Right Audio Output, and Audio Output Common. But C2 is already populated in 9 of the 10 pin locations by the harness coming from the Dodge Sirius receiver. The service manual doesn't have any acknowledgement that satellite radio was even an option. So how did Dodge accomodate both in the '04? I saw someone mention in another thread about a Y-harness and multiplexer, but couldn't offer p/n's.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:58 PM
chiledude

ORIGINAL: Ram04Rules

Yes, the 22-pin C1 connection is where the tap-in for power, PCI bus, etc will be made. I have no problem making the harness.

My quandry is that the schematic in the '04 service manual shows that pins 8, 9, & 10 from the hands-free module connect to pins 6, 1, & 2 of C2 in the radio, respectively, for the Left Audio Output, Right Audio Output, and Audio Output Common. But C2 is already populated in 9 of the 10 pin locations by the harness coming from the Dodge Sirius receiver. The service manual doesn't have any acknowledgement that satellite radio was even an option. So how did Dodge accomodate both in the '04? I saw someone mention in another thread about a Y-harness and multiplexer, but couldn't offer p/n's.
Are there two connectors on the back of your radio? The 22 pin and the 10 pin, correct? I have the CAN bus, which is different than PCI. I will talk to my parts dealer and find out if the uconnect components are different on the 04s and 06s. I made the "Y" harness, basically added a plug and socket between the radio and factory harness, then spliced the handsfree module wiring into it, I don't know if it makes a difference with or without Sirius. I have Sirius on mine and I don't think they are connected anywhere. I'll check on part numbers and post them once I find out.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Ram04Rules

chilidude, yes, the '04 has a 22-pin identified as C1 and a 10-pin is C2. I see on the '06 schematic that there is a set of left, right, and common audio output connections going into pins 4, 16, & 17 on C1 on the radio. If I had those it would certainly simplify things, but on the '04, those pins appear to be unused and there is no other audio output connection on C1. That appears to be a difference in pinouts on the headunit between the PCI bus and CAN bus versions.
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! I'm going to keep digging on my end as well.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:34 AM
chiledude

I made two harnesses for my local dodge dealer, they were for a customer of their's if anyone wants one for a 2006 let me know.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
AcemanMCT

For anyone wanting to install this in a RAM or any other vehicle, see the parts required and the link to get it all:
http://lxharness.com/index.php?act=v...mp;productId=2

Ted Harris at Mopar Super Center is working on a universal harness for any vehicle, whether with rain sensors, mirror dimmers, clearance lights (Rams with clearance lights and no UConnect have a completely different harness), etc. He can put together a package for youincluding the Telematic unit, Mirror, and mirror harness including his customized Jet harness. You'll just need a little brains and guts to tear apart your dash and know where to put the stuff in. You will also need to get it to a dealer and have them plugin the Starscan and setup the EVIC and steering wheels controls to activate theUConnect features.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/
800-456-5337

Ace

Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 AM
AcemanMCT

Update to my previous post:

When I talked to him yesterday (2/3/07), I asked him if I can post this info, and he said sure, please do! I want the word to get out that he has a simple plug and play installation for the factoryUConnect unit. I said cool!!

He told me he is getting closer and closer to putting together a universal harness and may be out within a couple of weeks. However in the mean time, he may put one together for you, as he did for me. He used my mirror harness, which I overnighted to him to splice it.

I would have bought everything from him, but I didn't find out about what he has until the other day. I hadalready purchased the parts (mirror, Telematic and mirror harness) from another dealer. I already purchased the parts (mirror, Telematic and mirror harness) from another dealer. When I found out theharness in the A Pillar on my Ram was different than the LX series vehicles (Magnum, 300's, etc), and that the plug was not availablebehind the dash,I immediately thought this would never work. After some digging around I caught on to the Jet harness originally designed by Jaak, then customized and sold by Ted.So I immediately ordered it.

After seeing some of the wiring pinouts to install this into the factory harness,the next morningI called him asking how to install it.He said there were a few wires that had to be tapped tothe factory harness. I said I saw the diagrams and this sounds like alot and becauseI don't work on cars/truck regular or as a living (network infrastructure/directory services engineer), this would take me forever. So he offered to put it together with my mirror harness. I told him I already ordered the mirror harness. He looked and found my package that was ready to go out with the UPS man. He then told me to send him my mirror harnessand he'll professionally splice it together and send it back. It will be pretty much a plug and play thing with the mirror, wire going down the A pillar, connect to the back of the radio and to the Telematic unit (the actual Bluetooth transceiver/processor), and that's it. He didsuggested to mount the Telematic unit under the dash to the right of the steering column for the best communication to your phone. This is becausemany of us keep our phones on our beltsand this would be the closest to the unit.

Cal him and discuss it, he'll more than likely do it for you.
Ted Harris
800-456-5337
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/

I hope that helps everyone. For more info, check out this thread too:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...10&page=14

Ace

Quick Reply: Installing factory uconnect