3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing factory uconnect

Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 AM
chiledude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing factory uconnect

Anyone add the factory uconnect to their ram pickup? (the factory option not the after market one) I have part numbers for the module and mirror, not sure on which wiring harness the ram uses and the dealer has been no help.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
DodgeMatrix
Default RE: Installing factory uconnect

Download the Service Manual. It will help locate the harness.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_371028/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: chiledude

Anyone add the factory uconnect to their ram pickup? (the factory option not the after market one) I have part numbers for the module and mirror, not sure on which wiring harness the ram uses and the dealer has been no help.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:26 AM
srenken
Professional

The RAM has the uConnect part of the overhead console trip computer. If your vehicle has the trip computer, putting in the upgraded trip computer will enable the uConnect option. The only thing you need to do then is program the overhead console with the fuel tank size of your vehicle. If you do not have the trip computer, then you have what is called a low line vehilce, or ST. You will need to find the trip computer out of the same model year vehicle. 2002 used what is called an EVIC in combination with the uConnect. This is the information center, where you are notified of vehicle sercie sechedules, and the like. You can upgrade to this type of overhead console without too much trouble from the normal trip computer, as long as it is a 2002 part. 2003 used the same trip computer on both the SLT and SLT+, but starting in 2003 the option for instantaneous fuel economy was removed from the trip computer. You will run into some problems if you attempt to put the wrong type of trip computer in your vehicle. There were other changes from 03 to 04. I believe 04 and 05 use the same, but 06 is based on the CAN bus. If you have the low line vehilce, then adding the trip computer is next to impossible since the circuits are missing in too many of the wiring harnesses to make this a worthwhile project.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 AM
chiledude

ORIGINAL: srenken

The RAM has the uConnect part of the overhead console trip computer. If your vehicle has the trip computer, putting in the upgraded trip computer will enable the uConnect option. The only thing you need to do then is program the overhead console with the fuel tank size of your vehicle. If you do not have the trip computer, then you have what is called a low line vehilce, or ST. You will need to find the trip computer out of the same model year vehicle. 2002 used what is called an EVIC in combination with the uConnect. This is the information center, where you are notified of vehicle sercie sechedules, and the like. You can upgrade to this type of overhead console without too much trouble from the normal trip computer, as long as it is a 2002 part. 2003 used the same trip computer on both the SLT and SLT+, but starting in 2003 the option for instantaneous fuel economy was removed from the trip computer. You will run into some problems if you attempt to put the wrong type of trip computer in your vehicle. There were other changes from 03 to 04. I believe 04 and 05 use the same, but 06 is based on the CAN bus. If you have the low line vehilce, then adding the trip computer is next to impossible since the circuits are missing in too many of the wiring harnesses to make this a worthwhile project.
I have the trip computer in the overhead, it's a 2006 ram laramie so I would imagine the harness should be there. I'll do more investigating. I also have the factory manual on the way.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:37 AM
chiledude

[quote]ORIGINAL: DodgeMatrix

Download the Service Manual. It will help locate the harness.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_371028/tm.htm

I downloaded this last night and found schematics and diagnostics on uconnect, no parts or part numbers to reference.

Thanks for the tip though!!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:38 PM
chiledude

The part numbers I had were not for a 2006 ram

These are the correct 2006 ram uconnect components

Telematics module 5064013AV

Rearview mirror 5064017AE

Harness 56051317AC

As soon as the parts arrive we'll see what we have!

Old 01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
spristas

I'm considering the same installation on my 2006. Did you purchase the uconnect system as a kit or seperate items. Where did you get the parts and how much were they?

Old 01-21-2006, 11:12 PM
MY D8ONA

What is a Uconnect?

Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 PM
spristas

UConnect(TM) is an exclusive voice-activated, hands-free, in-vehicle communications system that uses a small control pad, microphone and speaker, all integrated into the rear view mirror. UConnect allows you to dial your Bluetooth-compatible wireless phone or other hands-free device through simple voice commands. UConnect mutes your radio before sending or receiving a call and allows you to store names and numbers in the system's phonebook.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
chiledude

ORIGINAL: spristas

I'm considering the same installation on my 2006. Did you purchase the uconnect system as a kit or seperate items. Where did you get the parts and how much were they?

I purchased separate items, the ones you would have if your ram came factory with uconnect. The only kit I found is the after factory kit that installs completely different (not as nice and doesn't work as well).

My parts came in today at my local dodge dealer. I won't be able to pick them up for a few days.
I think the prices I was quoted are 15 to 20 percent off list. I'll post them once I get the receipt.
I found cheaper prices online but the shipping was too much...most dealers are charging 10 to 15 percent of purchase price for shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing factory uconnect