3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
DOSS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles

who knows, still waiting on what the factory to decide they are going to cover the motor.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

hemi has one prob i heard of and thats the valve springs, but im sure thats hit and miss, my dads truck is sexy strong

Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried going to the Dr. Z website?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: eatsleepdrivesc

how in the world did you get a 100k warranty on your drivetrain are you maybe thinking about rust protection or something else

My truck came with a 100,000/7year warranty .... They don't seem to offer that anymore.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

My buddy has a 4.7 in his Dakota with over 90K miles and zero problems.

I'm not being accusational here but people I've known that have had head gasket problems with their vehicles(mainly my DAD) have been a bit rough on the engine. My dads Ranger with a v6 blew a head gasket at about 70K, no excuse other then he had always been rough on engines. He bought a brand new VW back in like 1970 and burned up the engine in a matter of months.

If you run synthetic oil your warm up time should be minimal and in my experience and from what I've read you are better off driving at a slow speed for a couple of minutes for a proper warm up as this also lets the transmission warm up as well. FWIW

Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
dragonsoldier069

I had the same problem with my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC. At 96, 000 miles my engine blew as well it was a V8 with 4.7 liters. I had all the work always done at the Dodge Dealer ie oil change, fluids and tuneups. After my engine blew it sat for well over 3 months while I contacted Dodge for a crate engine . Their reply we do not make that engine any more you either need to have it rebuilt, buy a wrecked dodge, or do an engine swap. Long story short I am in the process of having a local guy rebubild it for me since in NC the wrecked one would have been over 3500 dollars. SO I feel for anyone that has this happens to them. As far as the engine swap goes you would have to replace everything in the truck electrical and drive shaft to rear axle..
Regards

Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that....But I, as well as others on this website are a little curious. Can you tell us about your maintenance habits, i.e., Oil changes-what type of oil, how often? What type of oil filters-how often changed? driving habits? Warm up time, before driving?
And so forth.. As you can see I have a 02 Ram 1500 QC 4.7 LTR V-8, and anything you can share with us on this forum, about your vehicle will help alot of us hopefully, to prevent this from happening to us......
One other thing, did you get a chance to go to the Dr. Z website?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
sfccross

I have a 2002 quad cab 1500 with the 4.7 that has just over 80k I bought the truck 3 months ago and have put on 10k miles since I have had her. The motor is strong and runs like a tiger with its hair on fire. I drive about 50 miles per day round trip to work and not one problem so far. I did buy the extended warrenty on the motor and tranny just to be sure, but love that truck as it is my first time being a truck owner.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

ORIGINAL: dragonsoldier069

I had the same problem with my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC. At 96, 000 miles my engine blew as well it was a V8 with 4.7 liters. I had all the work always done at the Dodge Dealer ie oil change, fluids and tuneups. After my engine blew it sat for well over 3 months while I contacted Dodge for a crate engine . Their reply we do not make that engine any more you either need to have it rebuilt, buy a wrecked dodge, or do an engine swap. Long story short I am in the process of having a local guy rebubild it for me since in NC the wrecked one would have been over 3500 dollars. SO I feel for anyone that has this happens to them. As far as the engine swap goes you would have to replace everything in the truck electrical and drive shaft to rear axle..
Regards
Haha, they lied to you.. The 4.7L is offered in the 2007 models, and will be offered in the 2008 Models as well. It's a brand new engine! haha

Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 PM
DOSS

my problem with the truck was this, i have a cracked head #2 cylinder the head was only warped on that cylinder. well i got my truck back and let me tell you what a trouble that was.I had to pay 2k for labor and the factory paid 7k+ for the parts. they told me they could not say if it was my fault or not so in return they would pay for the parts and i had to pay for the labor. i called chrysler and asked them some questions about my truck, like what did the independent inspector say, has a claim been filed on my truck, is this new motor new or rebuilt, etc but they only thing they would say was that all the information about my truck and the problem i was having with it was proprietary information and they could not say anything else. so i was a little upset. I asked to talk to his manager and he said that this was as far as he would let me go and that was it. Then i called the dealer that had the truck and asked who else i could call, they gave me the warranty number, now this was a joy to say the least, i got ahold of Mark and i told him that i would like to talk about the information that was given to warranty about the motor and i had a few questions.i asked him how i only warped the #2 cylinder head and everything else was ok, he told me that he was not a tech and did not know, so then i asked him if the crack in the head could have put compression into my coolant system causing my radiator to crack, same answer, i asked how i could have worked one cylinder more than the the other 7 to cause the head to warp only one cylinder, again same answer, so i asked if i could talk with the person who looked at the truck and he told me NO i asked why he said they do not give this info out. i asked if i could leave him my number and he could contact me again the same answer. i told him i just want some answers to my questions, he told me that he could not help me and that was that. i asked to speak to his manager he said that i could not and that he was hired to take care of these problems and that was as far as i could go. needless to say i was steaming by now but what could i do. i asked the dealer if they could get into contact with the person that looked at the truck and they gave me the same answer. well i paid the 2k because i need the truck oh yea i have a 7yr 100k powertrain warranty but i guess that doesn't mean anything ( i guess it beats paying 9k for a new engine). so anyway that is my gripe and if you have a 4.7 and need it replaced it takes 24 hours labor (4 hours to take off one head and 20 to replace the engine) the cost of the long block was 6666.95 and then there were some other things that go with it. oh yeah i also asked that if i overheated my head enough to fracture it how was my plastic intake not damaged they just told me that it was ok and i had nothing to worry about. yeah u bet . I work at a motorcycle dealership and deal with independent inspectors i have never had a customer of mine be treated like this!! If they had any questions (and they do) i would try to find outanything i could and get back to them. I feel that this could have been handled differently and my questions could have been considered or even answered.

Quick Reply: 4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles