3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 AM
jwkees
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles

I'm new the forum and I've read everyone's postings, decided to throw my 2 cents in due the fact thatI too am having head problems. I have a 2002 Ram 1500 QC, i got it new in jan. of '02. In april of '06, and @ 110,000 miles or so, the head on the passenger side decided to crack. On top of that electrolosis was introduced furthering damage to the head. End result to this matter was having the head fixed ata machine shop and a valve job done to both heads since engine was torn apart anyway also had the head gasket replaced on the head that was cracked. All this only cost me $2200 p & l,have a couple of friends that own thier own shop. 12,000 miles later and Dec. 20th '06rolls around and my head, same head that was fixed mind you, dropped a valve seat @ cylinder 6 and lodged the valve open. There was other minimal damage to the head withen that cylinder as well that ended getting fixed along with the valve seat. Getthe truck back on the 29thafter test driven by mechanic, i get 5 miles down the road and the valve seat drops again. Truck went back in and today i find out that the wrong valve seat was installed. the valve seat wassent to machinest from chrysler/dodge! And get this the dealership told our machinest, (after he was already done with it and its now back in his shop for the second time),not only did they have the wrongseat he also has to do something extra to it just so it could stay in place, when askedwhy we wern't told this in the first placechrysler/dodge would not reply;what a rip off! But maybe my friends machinest should have known better.I should have just had the whole head replaced the first time. Replacing the engine is just way too expensive. End result to this issue, my mechanic friend andhis machinest are resolving it without it costing me more money just time without my truck. On another issue,back in 2004 i had a problem withthe dodge dealership. After doing something stupid,mud skimmingin my 2wd (same truck), my fan next to the radiator (driver side) stoped working. went to the dealership ended up not being covered in the warranty. they told me the fan and the fan shroud had to be replacedand estimated thecost to be about $600 p&l. I decided to see my friend the mechanic and after a quick diagnosis hehanded me a new relay switch, told me which one needed replacing and i changed it myself. this all only cost me5 bucks and about 20 min. at his shop. I have had no problems with it since! I thinkdodge likes to rip off people with thier parts or maybejust the dealership i bought mine at. I'm not trying to bad mouth dodge, in all fairness to dodge my truck had no problems at all until110,000 miles and my truck is a work truck and i havent been easy on it so im grateful for that. Also i didnt have todo anything to the brakes (pads, rotors, nothing) until i hit 75,000 miles and only needed padsdone along with just surficing the rotors and im still on those pads with no problems!Anyway there it is, thanks forreading.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you contact Dodge corporate?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
jwkees

No. I've talked to corporate a couple of times beforeand thier customer service was just as rude and unwilling to help as my dealership, so i think i would've ended up banging my head against the wall for a third time. Anyway found out today i was mistaken on which head did the crackin', the one that was fixed back in april was not the same head that dropped the valve seat. All in all i'm still happy with my truck with 122,000 miles on it and this is the only problem with it and with the way i drive it, it's a damn good work truck.I just dont like thier customer service or thier parts service department.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen, from reading your post it appears that you're satisfied with the service you received. I, like you, am a consumer who works hard for his money. I don't know about you, but my truck wasn't given to me by Dodge. I paid for it, like I'm sure you paid for yours.
I think you should go to the Dr. Z website (Dodge) and explain to them what happened to you.
You see, if you let them get away with this without following it up, then when i, or someone else has a problem they will try to do the same thing to us. And believe me brother, my money doesn't come to me easy. So do me a favor, and follow up this problem up with a phone call to the Dr. Z website..

Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 AM
cushman107

I have a 2003 dodge Ram 1500 QC with 85,000 miles on it. For some reason the head just crack on it on the right side. I was not sure what it was at first but the other day it got water in one of the cylinders and it would not crank... Pull all the spark plugs and found the problem started it with out the one spark plug in that had water in it. It started and push the water out. I then replace the spark plug and it runs find other then it still has a crack head. Anyway i am trying to find out why this happen is it work fixing. The truck never got hot. I am going to put the new head on myself looks like i am going to be pulling the engine from want the shop dodge shop manual says. Wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem because. If so I want to replace the other head so i don't get one done and then get it back in and have to do it all over again. Is it worth doing this or should i just trade it in as it still runs.

Quick Reply: 4.7L blown head gasket at 77,000 miles