3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whining noise under the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Tazz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise under the vehicle

Hi, first post

I picked up my 2006 Ram 2500 Hemi yesterday. I have the 545 transmission. Anyway, there is a pretty high pitched whining/whistling noise coming from under the truck behind the wheel wells (Transmission area). It happens in all gears whether moving or in park. It doesn't appear to change frequency or pitch with engine RPM. The truck was a Demo with 5900 miles on it. I don't remember hearing the noise on the other 2500 Hemi trucks that I test drove. The service person at the dealership says it is NOT a normal noise but I should not be worried about it.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Whining noise under the vehicle

Anything that a tech says is NOT normal, I would be worried about. I don't have any idea what the noise could be, but its a brand new truck, take it back and make it their problem, not yours.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Tazz

They are going to look into it. I crawled under the truck and it is almost definitely coming from the transmission. Based on the non-variance of sound with engine RPM, I don't think it is a bearing. I have read about leaking valves in the transmission causing noise. I'll find out next week.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Helmuthead

Please keep me posted. I have an '05 Quad SWB w/HEMI and after about 800 miles it developed a whinning noise but only when it is hot. Comes from the same place you mentioned. Took it to the dealer (PA) and they also said they hear it but they are not sure what to do with it. After alot of yelling they changed the cat converter without success. According to the service team leader Chrysler knows about it but isn't offering any fix with it. Took it to aother dealer and they to hear it but say it is normal.... I have never heard any other make the same whinning noise I have. Now they seem to pretty much blow me off...

Old 09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
marv02
Captain

Keep Records who you talk times dates ect it called lemon Law make them give you a new truck or give you you'r money back.

Dont back down or there walk all over you and, you will be stuck with a problem truck you paid good money for a good truck not junk.

I think were I live it 3 or 5 time beening in the shop for the same problem make them fix it or else.

ORIGINAL: Helmuthead

Please keep me posted. I have an '05 Quad SWB w/HEMI and after about 800 miles it developed a whinning noise but only when it is hot. Comes from the same place you mentioned. Took it to the dealer (PA) and they also said they hear it but they are not sure what to do with it. After alot of yelling they changed the cat converter without success. According to the service team leader Chrysler knows about it but isn't offering any fix with it. Took it to aother dealer and they to hear it but say it is normal.... I have never heard any other make the same whinning noise I have. Now they seem to pretty much blow me off...

Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
gordo24fan
Professional

Have you had levels checked? Anyway, here is info from the DMV website.

LEMON LAW GUIDE

Select State... Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington Washington DC West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Everyone who buys a new vehicle dreads one particular word--lemon. However, if you should happen to purchase a faulty car, don’t despair. Lemon law attorneys and lemon law lawyers are schooled in the lemon laws of your particular state and can assist you with your case. Hiring a lemon law lawyer as soon as you recognize the problem can save you a lot of money in the long run.

Every state in the United States has now approved some form of a “Lemon Law.†Consumer protections from defective products are embodied within three governing laws: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Uniform Commercial Code, and each state’s particular lemon laws. While the lemon laws actually cover many types of products, most people refer to the lemon laws when they talk about either new or used vehicles still under warranty that cannot be properly repaired. In order to qualify for protection under the lemon laws, reasonable attempts must be made to replace or repair the inoperable part or system within a timely manner.

How a lemon is defined varies from state to state, and each state has a certain threshold of proof that the owner needs to meet or exceed in order to qualify for compensation. Setting up an appointment with a lemon law attorney is the first step in such a case; the lawyer will determine whether you have a valid lemon law case based on the necessary criteria established by your home state. Some of the details that you will need to provide them include: records showing that your car has been in the shop multiple times (in most states 4 times) and been repaired for the same recurring defect; or that your vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days during the first year of ownership due to one particular defect.
Filing a lemon law claim calls for time and effort, researching, detailed record keeping—and perseverance. As a consumer, you do have recourse should you buy defective products, but many people don’t end up pursuing a lemon law claim because of the diligence required to see it through to resolution.

If you suspect that you have purchased a lemon car, it may be easier and quicker to hire a lemon law attorney to pursue your claim. Lemon law attorneys are skilled in this specialized field and have helped countless consumers receive replacement vehicles or monetary compensation. Nearly every state has a directory of qualified lawyers where you can hire a lemon law attorney. If you are searching for a lemon law lawyer to help you deal with a lemon, click on your state listed below:

Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
abarmby
Champion

Is it the fuel pump?

The pump sits on top of the tank, just in front of the rear wheel wells.
It would sound like it's from the transmission as it's very near to it.
The pump wouldn't change in pitch either, when the truck is reved/standing/moving on down the road.
You might have a noisy fuel pump?
Mine truck has this noise when it's had a long run out.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Tazz

I brought it in today for them to do some diagnostics. They told me that there is a pin hole leak in the Y pipe of the exhaust. I could see that causing the sound actually since when I unload the engine, the sound seems to subside alot.

Anyway, they ordered a new Y-pipe which should be installed next week. I'll let you know if it actually solves the problem. It is there dime, so anything they want to buy and replace is fine by me. If it is not the Y-pipe, I'll have them check the fuel pump (good thinking). And...I am well versed on the Massachusetts Lemon Law as I have had to enact it before. Everything, I do for a vehicle is recorded in a log with dates and times and names if applicable.

Thanks for all the responses so far, I'll keep you informed of the outcome. Other than the noise the truck is amazing. I added Polished SS Nerf bars, Chrome Gas cover, OEM mudflaps, and of course a NE Patriots Hitch cover (all easily removable if need be). Rear well skirts, Rail bars, and Performance mods are next after they make the noise go away

The truck before the mudflaps

Being used to haul

Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Tazz
Default RE: Whining noise under the vehicle - Update

If anyone was following this saga, changing the exhaust Y-pipe had no effect on the noise, imagine that. They are getting in touch with the factory service reps to see if they have any insight.

One of the mechanics told me he wouldn't worry about it, So I said "what's making the noise?" He said, "I don't know" I said, "Then how can you tell me not to worry about it". He didn't have anything to say after that.

The Dumba--es left the stickers on the exhaust pipe so now the exhaust smells like burning plastic when it heats up... Dealership service departments [:@] (Shaking Head)

Attempt #1 (2 to go)

Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Helmuthead
Default RE: Whining noise under the vehicle - Update

I share your pain. I took my truck to another dealership for a second opinion and they told me "thats normal for a hemi engine to make that noise". I challenged them to find me a truck on the lot that made this noise as loud as mine... they just looked at me stupid.

They say that the Hemi engine does make a little noise but mine is loud. If you crawl underneath the noise does sound like it is coming from the engine. Almost like noisy valves or something in that area (I am not a mechanic just a unhappy owner).

A friend who is a mechanic at the Dodge dealership said they have no idea, they are or did discuss it with Chrysler and Chrylser has no fix for it.

****'s me off so bad I am most likely going to sell the truck...

Rick

Quick Reply: Whining noise under the vehicle