3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Fuel Pressure & no Spark, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM
rmucha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Fuel Pressure & no Spark, no start

Ok long time reader of the site you guys have helped me alot w/ my truck but this is my first plee for help.

I have an '02 1500 4.7L 2wd w/ 96k, it cranks strong but will not start. When I was not hearing the fuel pump kick on (like normal) when turning the key to on I checked my fuel pressure and had no fuel pressure (DUH) I thought the fuel pump was the problem. Not so, replaced fuel pump still the same checked for spark by grounding the plug to the block and turning it over and the same using a spark tester I normally use on my lawn mowers and both showed nothing. I also replaced the ignition switch in the column ($25 was cheap and a hope for a fix). Reason for the switch swap was my gauges no longer regester anything w/ key in on position, so thinking it fried. Tried checking for voltage off the plug for the coils but not sure what I should be getting (volts), but also even if the coils were not getting power wouldn't I still have the fuel pump kick on? Last piece to add is that I had a Viper remote start/alarm that was installed the week I bought the truck in Nov '01 it had a fried and melted 30 amp fuse coming off a pink wire w/ wht strip from the ignition switch (so I removed the alarm and remote start, no change). Oh and I did check all the fuses and relays, all good. Please Help

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
slimvela
Professional

wow, from what you have written I think you have a multitude of signals missing...where to begin...??? hmm, this is one I would have to have in my garage hooked up to my scan tools/laptop.

I would almost go straight to the ipm/pcm simply to look for signals...fuel pump, gauges, 'spark', timing signals...where did they all go

Last edited by slimvela; 02-17-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Try the key dance and see if it'll pull codes

Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Does the 02 4.7 have ASD (Auto Shut Down) relays like the 5.7? If so they stop the fuel pump from priming and also stop the coils from firing.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
rmucha

Found the problem. The 12 volt input to the PCM had corrosion and rotted off. So I had no power to the PCM. I was able to cut a hole in the back of the PCM and solder a wire to the pin and crimp to the wire in the harness. Bit of Mickey Mouse engineering but the truck runs. Then I resealed the hole in the back with liquid electrical tape to keep it dry. See how long it lasts. Thank you for the input. And yes the 4.7 does have and ASD relay.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow.....good job locating and resolving the issue.

Quick Reply: No Fuel Pressure & no Spark, no start