3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L cold start noise / lifter noise / slapping

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
meen green machine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2002 4.7 and seem to have the same syptons like a light nocking noise and seems to only be when i start it up in the morning or after not driving it a while.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
2001Wjk
Default 4.7L cold start noise / lifter noise / slapping

I have a 2001 4.7l with 130k miles does the exact same thing starts up and sounds like s*** ill sit there right next to it and literally 30 seconds later it just fades of to nothing..Truck has been mitikulsly maintained with 5/30 casrtol synetic blend and always used chrysler oil filters since 70k ...this is my 3rd 4.7 they have all done it the one had 46k miles..i know alot of really good mechanics that know there s*** and app. this is just the oil draining down into the pan and while u start it its working the oil back. Also i have noticed in warmer weather somtimes it wont even do it or if it does it goes literally right away. Im hoping it doesent blow up but this forum deff made me feel better....and if it does blow up i will be sure to let eveyone know
Thnx guys keep posting
2001wjk 3.5 OME 18" 2010 JK Sahara Limited Wheels with 32" A/T's and it does have an intake and i do beat on the truck sometime's...if this was a problem it woulve blown up a long time ago...knock on wood

Last edited by 2001Wjk; 02-28-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
ARG

Thanks for the info. I have about 2500 miles on mine now. Mine is quiet for about 30 seconds after starting then starts to rattle or clunk like a diesel for 3 to 5 minutes then gradually gets quieter. Even when warm you hear a little. Sounds like more from under the truck, not the from the valve cover area.

ARG

Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
jazzinaz

Originally Posted by big guy
They finally find the problem and refuse repairs, and they wonder why they are losing market share!
Hey Big Guy, would you mind sharing what it was that they found??????? You can't leave us hanging like that.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzinaz
Hey Big Guy, would you mind sharing what it was that they found??????? You can't leave us hanging like that.
I did not know I left anybody hanging? I clearly stated in my post the diagnosis on my truck. #6 and #8 pistons are the cause. Although now towards the later end of the 1 minute knock/tick. I'd swear the lifters were making noise as well? Timed the tick/knock yesterday morning and it was approx 1 minute. No worse than last Oct. Truck still runs strong as ever! Using Redline 5W 30 now.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
rcman0056
Professional

I have a tick when she is cold and goes away after she warms a little. It is an exhaust manifold leak. Goes away after the exhaust heats up. Dodge trucks are known for the exhaust leak tick.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcman0056
I have a tick when she is cold and goes away after she warms a little. It is an exhaust manifold leak. Goes away after the exhaust heats up. Dodge trucks are known for the exhaust leak tick.
Lash adjustors/ rockers, timing chain tensioners, exhaust manifold gaskets, pistons, Then somebody posts it's valve springs? Then somebody else comes on and says oil pick up and oil filter? Yet another will say new lash adjustors are defective? So I give up on trying to get diagnosis on engine noises on the internet. You need a competete mechanic with a stethoscope to evaluate you personal problem. And there seems to be a major shortage of them!
In my case as well as many others. The noise does not start till maybe 20 seconds to 30 seconds after starting. To me and again just my opinion. If it were manifold gaskets leaking it would start making noise close to start up and not 30 seconds later? And for the lash adjustors I know for a fact I have 80 to 90 psi oil pressure within 2 seconds of start up. So if lash adjusters were leaking down and causing the problem. Why does it 30 seconds before the noise starts. If the lash adjustors were leaking down. I would think it would start right at startup? Not 30 seconds later. Just trying to rationize the situation using engine theories I learned in school.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
ARG

In the old days it might be a heat riser. Do these new trucks still have a heat riser? That could be why no noise until after 30 seconds. That is about when the heat riser would start to open then rattle until it makes it's way to full open. Then it gets quiet. This to me is the only thing that makes sense, that is if the new trucks still have one. Also the noise seems to becoming from under the truck, not the valve cover area.

ARG

Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
KingsMan
Amateur

Originally Posted by ARG
In the old days it might be a heat riser. Do these new trucks still have a heat riser? That could be why no noise until after 30 seconds. That is about when the heat riser would start to open then rattle until it makes it's way to full open. Then it gets quiet. This to me is the only thing that makes sense, that is if the new trucks still have one. Also the noise seems to becoming from under the truck, not the valve cover area.

ARG
The posts in this thread seem to be wandering through a gamut of different noises. Most posters, though, seem to be describing sounds that are similar to a collapsed lifter for the first 30 seconds or so on a cold start.

I had that happen last fall. Sounded like a lifter was having to pump up. I couldn't locate the source of the sound, seemed to be coming from everywhere under the hood, even from under the truck. A stethoscope was no help. In the end it turned out to be a carboned up valve stem on cylinder #1 that caused the valve to stick. It eventually threw a cam follower causing misfire on that cylinder. I Seafoamed the motor and reinstalled the follower and I haven't heard the noise since.

I know what you are talking about when you mention heat risers. The old Fords were real bad about that. But these motors don't have any thing like that on 'em.

These 4.7's don't have lifters nor do they have hydraulic lash adjusters. The adjusters are solidly mounted on the head, so they aren't the cause of any sounds. They simply hold up one end of the cam followers. The other end is on top of the valve stem with the cam lobe in the center to actuate the valve when the lobe comes around.

4.7's are also known to Chrysler techs to be bad about carbon build up as well as condensation in the oil system.

One of the previous posts mentioned that sometimes you have to take your truck to a mechanic to locate the cause of various sounds. Well said. There are so many causes of different sounds that unless it can be heard it's hard to make solid suggestions as far as what to look for.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
ARG

No lash adjusters??? Everything I have read shows the 4.7 does have hydraulic lash adjusters. They were re-designed in 2008 as a normally open check valve lash adjuster so that they would not pump up and keep a valve slightly open for a smoother idle, at least that is what I read. My truck only has 2000 miles and the noise was there from day one so I don't think carbon buildup. Again it is perfectly quiet for 30 to 40 seconds then starts to rattle for a few minutes then when temp comes up gets perfectly quiet.
Again, thanks for the input. I just don't want a dealer tearing into a new motor at this point when all is quiet once it warms up.

ARG

Quick Reply: 4.7L cold start noise / lifter noise / slapping