3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L cold start noise / lifter noise / slapping

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 PM
rcman0056
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a while since this post has been used. Both the truck and bike have been upgraded. The truck ran fine after 30secs of warming up. Motors make noise because the metals shrink and then expand as they heat up. I say drive it and use it as a truck. From what I could tell on my truck it was a small exhaust leak that sealed when they heated up.

Who thinks of this crap:

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
mopar moper

ok , i recently traded for an 05 1500 with the 4.7...naturally i never heard the clacking on cold start b4 i got the truck...its only on cold start then smoothes out perfectly...my mechanic thought timing chain assy. ...he found one tensioner broke , replaced all tensioners , guides etc....was quiet for 3 cold starts , then same ol clacking for a minute or so...truck has plenty of power , oil press. is good...warranty co. is wanting to be d.. ks about it , saying it was a pre-existing condition...i cant afford to keep chasing rabbits...my mechanic says he will do his best to make it right , because ive spent 1000 and its still not fixed....is there a possibility of bad timing chain parts , because it did quit for 3 cold starts...should he go back into timing chain assy. or look under valve covers....or dig a big hole in the woods.....this is my only ride , and cant afford to have motor blow , but also cant afford to keep throwing money at it...heeeellllpppp !!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Rob3069usmc

I think i have the same problem as all of you but mine is in a 06 5.7 hemi.. Pluse mine lasts for about 10 min. When i first started reading this it sounded like a wrist pin but now.. It sounds alot like my problem.. But mine every once in awhile gives me a P0306 code cylender 6 misfire. The dealer changed the two plugs and said it was good. But not so much. I have done all the plugs, injector and the coil.. But nothing has changed. I have posted about this but no one seems to know.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar Moper, the start up tick is normal for the 4.7L regardless of what you may think or what your mechanic tells you. Mine, along with everyone elses 4.7L has a startup tick.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
mopar moper
Default 4.7 cold start lifter noise

ok , i too had the cold start rattle , under investigation have figured out that its lifters / lash adjusters draining down....there was no sludge found anywhere when i replaced timing chain tensioners . i was told to go to 0w30 synthetic oil....i changed the oil today , and noticed a little sludge on the oil cap....my question is , ...is there anything i can SAFELY mix in the oil and run for a few minutes b4 changing it , to break up and get out that sludge ??? then i would drain it and remove oil pan to make sure all sludge is out ???..ive heard that sea-foam works...as well as a 50/50 mix of kerosene and oil ran for just a few minutes then drained....there HAS to be a SAFE way to get that sludge out...short of rebuilding the motor....and no warranty company will pay on a sludge issue...even though I havent put but 1000 miles on the truck since i bought it...

Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
mopar moper

how did u go about sea-foaming it....did u mix it 50/50 with the oil....did u run it a few minutes then drain it....ive noticed a little sludge on the oil cap since i started fu.. ..ing with mine , will the sea-foam break that down ya think ???

Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

If you only make short trips the little bit of sludge is normal since the oil temp doesn't get all the way up. I don't know how many more times this will be said before people start to get it through their heads. . . .

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
mopar moper

ok ok...i got it....im a severe driver...everything i do is within 5 miles of home...exept deer hunting , and thats months away....i guess ill make it a point to " stretch her legs " once a week....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Yes you need to get it up to proper temps or else your sludge problem will never go away. Hell, even letting it idle until it warms and letting it do that would work. But when you do that you get 0MPG.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Roger_D

2001 Dodge Durango

I have the same problem as most of the descriptions in this thread. Lower right ticking noise when it is cold. Maybe not even there when it is a warm temperature outside, but it always goes away when warmed up.

The one difference I have that hasn't been mentioned is that even when it is warmed up and the noise is gone it will occasionly come back hard under load - going up a hill and downshifting - ticking loud until cresting the hill and the automatic upshifts. After that stomping on the gas won't make it happen for some reason.

It has done this very occasionally in the past but I ended up having a flywheel shroud rust out and was clattering in the teeth so I thought that was it. But that is not the case now. And now it is much louder.

The truck does sit most of the time, so I was hoping it was just sludge, but the loud ticking under load is making me think it could be something else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4.7L cold start noise / lifter noise / slapping