3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram Brakes

Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
cjbeck47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram Brakes

Help. I just had new brake pads put on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and the brakes seem to be boggy. The mechanic tells me there is nothing to be done that you do not bleed air from the lines on this truck after replacing pads. Is this right? If so what to I do/ When you press down the brake pedad there is a air sound and it just does not feel right.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 AM
loiler921
Professional
Default RE: 2004 Ram Brakes

your mech is correct. you SHOULDN'T have to bleed. only when you fis a brake line. by what your descibing u may have a broken line somewhere, or your master cylinder is going out..... get underneath and look for brake fluid

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Beregid

if you can't find any fluid just jumping out at you, start monitoring your fluid levels in your brake fluid reservoir.....if its dropping or low, you know you have a problem.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Jetpig
Professional

New brake pads take a bit to wear in. That is quite normal for them to feel a bit different at first. This is especially true if you only replaced pads and did not have the disks turned.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Critter7r

ORIGINAL: Jetpig

New brake pads take a bit to wear in. That is quite normal for them to feel a bit different at first. This is especially true if you only replaced pads and did not have the disks turned.
+1
If the tech didn't properly bed them in after replacement, they'll feel a little rubbery. Do 5 or 6 moderately agressive (about 50% braking power) stops from 25-30 mph. Then let them cool a bit and do a few stops from 45-50 (like you're stopping for a stop light that you noticed turned yellow a bit late). Don't be too agressive with the brakes, but you want to generate some heat so they'll set in.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
eltupac
All Star

You guys are all wrong, ABS systems need to be, not bleed, but the release valve has to be open when pushing the cylinder/piston back in. Too much pressure on the ABS system going the wrong way can cause problems. I know cause the bastards at the Ford dealership changed my wife's old mustang's brake pads and they ruined the master cylinder. They just pushed the cylinder/piston back in as if it were a non-ABS car. After they ruined it the firsttime, the pedal felt very spongy and would travel all the way down. It costs $180 to do the brakes only thefront. I did aHonda non-ABS in 25 minutes both front disks. A mechanic with power tools, can take him 30 minutes for ABS, thats $360 an hour. I tell you, I dont think a Dodge engineer makes that much.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 AM
reiderr
Professional

That's one reason why I always open the bleeder value a bit when I compress the caliber piston. This squirts the old dirty fluid out to a catch-can (though aquarium air line attached to the bleeder) instead of up into the ABS and/or master cylinder. Merely forcing the old fluid back in to the master cylinder has a chance of fouling necessitating its replacement--and they can be pricey. This happened to me once. It's also a good idea to flush the fluid at every brake job to get all the old fluid out of the system.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:12 PM
cjbeck47

I would like to thank you guys for all your5 responses. My husband has always taken care of theses things in the past but now he has cancer and heart problems so I am taking care of everything. I grew up around cars and racing so I am fine with this as long as I have the knowledge to make sure it is done right. My huisband found this truck and thought it ws gong to be his till I started it up and heard the rumble of the pipes. That is when I told him it was my truck! I will include a picture sometime as it is a ladies truck with the chrome nad graphics.
Thanks,
CJ

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
unixfool
Amateur

Originally Posted by eltupac
You guys are all wrong, ABS systems need to be, not bleed, but the release valve has to be open when pushing the cylinder/piston back in. Too much pressure on the ABS system going the wrong way can cause problems. I know cause the bastards at the Ford dealership changed my wife's old mustang's brake pads and they ruined the master cylinder. They just pushed the cylinder/piston back in as if it were a non-ABS car. After they ruined it the firsttime, the pedal felt very spongy and would travel all the way down. It costs $180 to do the brakes only thefront. I did aHonda non-ABS in 25 minutes both front disks. A mechanic with power tools, can take him 30 minutes for ABS, thats $360 an hour. I tell you, I dont think a Dodge engineer makes that much.
Sorry for replying to an old thread. I'm trying to replace the brakes on my 2k4 Ram and haven't done brakes in YEARS. Looking at the service manual, I see no mention of bleeding the ABS when compressing the brake piston. Anyone got a book reference on this? If not, where's the bleed valve for the ABS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Ram Brakes