3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 AM
cumminspw25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am new to this forum, yet wanted to offer up some info. I have an 03 dodge 3500 this blend door has been a thorn in my side since buying the truck 3 years ago. I have tried fixing it on my own 3 seperate times. TO NO AVAIL I might add. The door that is affecting the proper operation is located behind the cup holder assembly. It is covered by an electrical actuator. behing this is a plastic stubb that connects to the motor. This plastic piece strips way from the blend door over time. I guess it's due to the force of air that blows out and it weakens over time of selecting the different vent operations. I have tried drilling it out and putting a steel screw coated with 2 different epoxys. It still doesn't work. I called my local dodge dealer the other day and ask if they sold a replacement blend door. He said the part is relatively cheap. My ???? is how difficult is gonna be to swap them out. I don't know if the entire air box has to come out. I've been told it does and to go ahead and purchase a new heater core because I am gonna have to change it out when I replace it. Any advice on this subject would be very helpful...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Rob B

Originally Posted by cumminspw25
Hey guys I am new to this forum, yet wanted to offer up some info. I have an 03 dodge 3500 this blend door has been a thorn in my side since buying the truck 3 years ago. I have tried fixing it on my own 3 seperate times. TO NO AVAIL I might add. The door that is affecting the proper operation is located behind the cup holder assembly. It is covered by an electrical actuator. behing this is a plastic stubb that connects to the motor. This plastic piece strips way from the blend door over time. I guess it's due to the force of air that blows out and it weakens over time of selecting the different vent operations. I have tried drilling it out and putting a steel screw coated with 2 different epoxys. It still doesn't work. I called my local dodge dealer the other day and ask if they sold a replacement blend door. He said the part is relatively cheap. My ???? is how difficult is gonna be to swap them out. I don't know if the entire air box has to come out. I've been told it does and to go ahead and purchase a new heater core because I am gonna have to change it out when I replace it. Any advice on this subject would be very helpful...
I had problems with mine on my 03 1500. When the heater core finally started leaking a couple of years ago. I went ahead and fixed it. You'll have to pull the dash out and the complete HVAC box to get to the doors. Mine was the door that blended from the floor to the defrost to the vents. I bought a new one from the dealer and it was so flimsy and cheap, that I ended up JB welding the crack in the old one and strengthened it up. We are now 2 years out from the fix and so far so good. **** poor *** design across the board on this one!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 AM
cumminspw25

Originally Posted by Rob B
I had problems with mine on my 03 1500. When the heater core finally started leaking a couple of years ago. I went ahead and fixed it. You'll have to pull the dash out and the complete HVAC box to get to the doors. Mine was the door that blended from the floor to the defrost to the vents. I bought a new one from the dealer and it was so flimsy and cheap, that I ended up JB welding the crack in the old one and strengthened it up. We are now 2 years out from the fix and so far so good. **** poor *** design across the board on this one!
That's what I'm afraid of. I was looking for the parts online and found a guy on ebay selling a whole set of them so I put in a bid...Their all new in the package....I should know tomorrow if I won...Now I'm regretting the decision cuz I know once I have the parts im gonna want to strip it out and replace it. Then Im afraid to tell my wife if I end up having to replace the heater core. I just picked the truck up today from the tranny shop.. Had to drop 2500 on a billet rebuild...ouch. I'm definitely not looking forward to this...Also do you know if the plastic piece that connects to the blend doors is a separate piece or is it molded onto the blend door....I didn't see that part in with the doors I'm bidding on????

Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
buddyspangler

hi friends can someone help me to find the removal instructions for the ac evaperator fan on my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 AM
05ram4x4

there is no evaporator fan there is a blower motor in the bottom right hand side of the hvac box which is behind the glove box

Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Mango Daytona

Heater Treater is right, 90% of the time it's the recirculation door hinge that's broke. They (and others ) have you attempting an in place replacement of the hinge device. I bought the whole new box assembly with actuator motor and door having heavier duty hinge all pre assembled. Problem is, it appears that the whole 4 foot long HVAC unit has to be dropped in order to install it. Has any one done that before? If so, please sent help suggestions.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Mango Daytona

Replacing the Recirc Blend Door Box is a complete Dash Pull effort but doable. Just two brass screws but it has to be lifted upwards off the HVAC assembly. It took me over two days, but now all HVAC functions work as new.

Last edited by Mango Daytona; 05-23-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
sackman70

Does anyone know what this fix would cost by a proffessional?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:28 PM
DamRam2500

i have a 2008 2500 4x4 and it just started that same crap replaced the Head unit that did help replace replaced vents and defrost actuators now I am stuck?????

Quick Reply: 03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems