3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
magicman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling and idling problems fixed

i have a dodge ram 1500 also with 38000 miles barely used ive been having stalling problems and rough idling problems.until i got mad and checked myself i put computer and no codes.all u hear from the dealers is theres nothing wrong well i figured out the problen u have to take the air chamber out and remove the i.a.c. motor .i took mine out and it had so much carbon build up it wasent funny so i cleaned it with carb spray very good and dried it up good and mine is running like a champ now. thx

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
luckystrike

Good info !!! Is that part of the throttle boddy ??

Thanks !!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you check the EGR valve?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Dunno207
Professional

I have the same issue with my truck from time to time. It's only at first start when its cold but after i leave the first stop sign at the end of my street its fine. It will surge between 500-1000 rpm and if i just go its fine but if I stay stopped it dies. Doesn't seem like a big deal but never know.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
bcjohnson

I am having the same issue with my 2005 1500 4.7 100,000miles. It almost always happens as I'm idling through a parking lot. It dosent seem to matter if the truck is warm or not and its been going on for over 2 years now. At first it was every once in a while but now its 2 or 3 times a month. I'm going to try the suggestion but has anyone else found the answer?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
spirito

My truck was stalling out on me and I realized I was low on tranny fluid and this was causing me to stall out check that!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Brian Richter

I have same problem, shop put a new idle air on, worked fine,also a map sensor, a couple days later started again to this day. same engine,2003, have you had the idle air or map sensor looked at, just curious if I had a defective part installed?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When is the last time you guys cleaned your throttle bodies? If it's been over 15k miles, then that's probably your stalling issues...

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Brian Richter

I am still working on it, I replaced the idle air control after cleaning the first one, worked for a week been doing it again, I am going to look to see if another deposit of carbon has deposited,let me know if you have luck.Have you messed with the map sensor at all, I have and was curious if that was part of my problem?

Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Kaige
Default maybe this is the same problem

My 2002 ram 1500, 208k miles, 4.7 v8 experienced the same problem this morning. Started without incident this morning and went to the store to run some errands. Coming back to the truck at the store. The truck would Start, then run low rpms, then stall. I could not keep the engine from stalling without pressing the excelerator to increase the rpm. Let off the excelerator and the truck would stall. A couple of days before the truck stalled on start up only once. Started again and the truck ran fine.
Today, luckily, I had green lights in my favor on the way back and not much traffic. If I had to stop, I used both the brake and very light gas to keep the rpms up.
I had an original battery which was corroding on the negative terminal and appeared to be leaking at the same spot. The battery was maintenance free, but I could pop the caps and found two cells a little low. I replaced the battery, cleaned the terminals and applied some corrosion resistant gel. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the pvc valve. I also cleaned the hard plastic tubing that goes to the pvc valve. This tubig has an s-shape and was also clogged. I removed the tubing and I used a piece of 14 gauge wire to feed through the tube. I tied a piece of string to a loop on one end of the wire, and tied a small strip of cloth to the other end of the string, then i tied another peice of string to the other end of the cloth. Keep the knots tight and no bigger than the inside diameter of the tube, and trim the excess cloth and string at the knot. Once I pulled the wire through the tube, I untied the wire and tied the first piece of string to a stationary object. Hold the tube at the first turn to keep from stressing the turn, and hold the end of the other string with your other hand and you can slide the tube back and forth across the cloth. I needed to change the cloth several times, until it would come out without much gunk and was still clean. Intialily large particles of gunk came out of the tube. I then replaced the clean tube, and the truck runs great. I'll probably go ahead and replace the EGR valve next week. If you have trouble again check the PCV valve and clean the tubing. It worked for me.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram stalling problem