3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Roddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stalling when coming to stop

Having the same issue with my 2005 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI, 68,000 miles. Cold or hot doesn't matter when coming to a stop it will dip to 300-400 rpm's sometimes it will recover and stay running but other times it will die out. Have checked fluid level for tranny and it is okay. Had the EGR valve replace, and ECU updated, no change.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Mine does that too! Usually when my temp isnt that high I'll start slowing down for stoplights, it jerks forward and then cuts off... almost every day...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
magicman

Hey guys like I said earlier in thread I took mine in to dealer and told me it was the computer and they even update it I took it home and still no fix then engine light came on and rpm did the same. It also used a lot more gas as well so i took it upon my self since the overpaid dearlers couldent figure out what was going on so i replaced the map sensor.throttle position.and one more sensor I have to get back on that.and it ran normal again the map sensor was the problem

Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM
evanthefireman

I've had this prob twice! First about three years ago I had a rough idle for a while then finally got a code that directed me to my EGR, so i replaced it and was fine for a couple years. Lately I've had a rough idle with the same stalling at low speed/stopping like everyone else. It was getting gradually worse (stalling almost daily) until the other day I used a Seafoam throttle body cleaner that comes with a special nozzle that sprays it into the throttle body while the truck is running and cleans out the system. I can't believe it worked so well, I thought it was a long shot but my truck has a perfectly smooth idle at 600rpm and hasn't stalled once. I can't promise this will work for you but it's a cheap option to try!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen in my 4.7 durango. Added some Heet and solved the problem temporarily, then it came back. this time i checked the tranny fluid and it was low since i had a trans leak for awhile and that has fixed it for me. It normally happened on my way to work or home form work, id turn the truck on then leave and on the first stop the rpms would fluctuate and if i didnt hit the gas it stalled. Hope some of these solutions help future readers having similar problems.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by evanthefireman
I've had this prob twice! First about three years ago I had a rough idle for a while then finally got a code that directed me to my EGR, so i replaced it and was fine for a couple years. Lately I've had a rough idle with the same stalling at low speed/stopping like everyone else. It was getting gradually worse (stalling almost daily) until the other day I used a Seafoam throttle body cleaner that comes with a special nozzle that sprays it into the throttle body while the truck is running and cleans out the system. I can't believe it worked so well, I thought it was a long shot but my truck has a perfectly smooth idle at 600rpm and hasn't stalled once. I can't promise this will work for you but it's a cheap option to try!
Although there are a multitude of things that can cause rough running and stalling issues, air intake (breathing) is a very common (and very much over-looked one). It's a REAL good bet if your EGR has clogged up that it's time to clean the throttle body as that EGR dumps right behind the plate in the throttle body. They kinda go hand-in-hand...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Count me in also for the stalling issue. Mine is an '03 with the hemi. I am in the process of trying to sell it as I have just purchased a 2012 Big Horn - beautiful truck!

Anyways I read over Hammer's suggested reading and I have to say that I think there is something to the evap system theory. I have owned the truck for 6 years and I have had it stall/surge/lose power maybe a half a dozen times - usually in the driveway when the engine is cold. It is a 2003 so it has no egr valve and I clean the intake and sea-foam it regularly. Also I hardly ever let the tank get below 1/4 (hurts to much to fill it up here in Canada ha ha). Anyways, mine consistently throws the evap system code and the other day when I took her out to stretch her legs, the truck shut off while I was going around a turn - scared the crap outta me! First time that ever happened that way. At the time the engine was nearly at operating temp (I have the stock thermostat), the tank was below 1/4 and I had the evap code. I need to sell it soon so I would like to get this resolved first!

Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
evanthefireman
Default Another possibility?

My truck is good to go now but i was talking to a buddy with same truck and had a similar problem. He said a tranny service(filter, fluid, gasket) seemed to do the trick. I also read on another forum someone figured it was the O-ring on his tranny filter causing a pressure issue in the tranny. Not sure if that's the case but if you can't figure anything out it's another possibility to try that won't break the bank. Good luck! I know mine was driving me nuts when i couldn't figure it out

Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 AM
jbird720
Professional

Replace the camshaft position sensor.
They can go faulty with no engine code. But new ones can also be bad.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM
jbird720
Professional

Originally Posted by jbird720
Replace the camshaft position sensor.
They can go faulty with no engine code. But new ones can also be bad.
Just to give you an idea. My truck had the same problem. The previous owner sold the truck to me CHEAP, probably due to this problem.
It took me a little time and massive headaches to figure out it was the camshaft sensor. Then only to be told by the dealer that most that are made are faulty.

Find an American made one, swap it out in 10 min for $25. And watch the problem (hopefully) go away

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram stalling problem