Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Box Blend Door

Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default Heater Box Blend Door

I have 03 Ram with 49,ooo miles. The problem is when switched to floor the unit go's to defrost and it dosen't matter if hot or cold or what temp setting is. Dealer say's it's a broken blend door and will take a days labor to replace. I don't know how they could determine the problem with out dismanteling the dash board to find the problem.

Any Ideas ?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 08 Sahara, 03 Ram 1500

Mine is in right now being replaced. Everyone I asked said they have to pull the dash and it is a bear. I'm having them replace the broken dash while they are at it.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Record Breaker
2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 09 hemi ram

it is the blend door. its a very common problem on the rams. its not cheap to have them fix. they have to take the dash off anyways to fix it thinking its the blend door. they arent going to trouble shoot a truck and rip the dash off. that would be expensive troubleshooting for YOU.
09 hemi rcsb ram ~ Diablo tuned, Jet 180 Tstat ~AMR longtube headers~ Volant Intake ~ Magnaflow 14 inch single exhaust ~ Moes TB~Ground Force 3/5 ( custom surgery to get it lower) 4x4 lowering kit~kmc slides 22x9.5s on 285-45-22
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 QCSB 5.7 Hemi SLT 2wd

I have a similar problem, I did not know it was common. My truck makes a lot of noise when you turn up the air full blast and it feels crappy. Like the noise is too much for the air coming out. seems like the air is being blocked or not routed correctly. also i can smell the outside air on any setting, this should not happen.

do you guys think its the same problem?

Air Bag Suspension Club Member # 2
BLACK TRUCK CLUB MEMBER # 124
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 08 Sahara, 03 Ram 1500

Sounds really familiar to me. The shop just called and they found the source of the problem. A piece of plastic, probably from the dash, had gotten in the equation and found its way to the door and jammed it. The motor burned up because of this and the shaft of the door is broken. The hits just kep on coming. Up to $1100.00 so far, pray nothing else goes wrong, I'm running out of money.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Record Breaker
2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 09 hemi ram

$1100 HOLY $HIT!!!!! f that. id rather do it myself and have it be a big pain in the a$$ than pay the stealership $1100 to take my dash out and fix it. thats why my truck has never been to the dealer since the tranny went at 4000 miles. will never bring it back ever again for anything either they take way too long and charge way to much.
09 hemi rcsb ram ~ Diablo tuned, Jet 180 Tstat ~AMR longtube headers~ Volant Intake ~ Magnaflow 14 inch single exhaust ~ Moes TB~Ground Force 3/5 ( custom surgery to get it lower) 4x4 lowering kit~kmc slides 22x9.5s on 285-45-22
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

There is a blend door coupling that breaks off the actuator shaft. In some cases the door will fall down on top of the blower motor and that is what makes so much noise. And it will restrict the air flow. Mine broke twice before the revised unit came out. Since then no problems. Thank god mine was under warranty.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Garage is empty, add now

is there any way to get in there and move the door so I can get floor heat, and will fix at a later time. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 QCSB 5.7 Hemi SLT 2wd

where can i get this new "revised" part? dealership?

also, has anyone made a write up on how to fix this annoying problem?

Air Bag Suspension Club Member # 2
BLACK TRUCK CLUB MEMBER # 124
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Garage is empty, add now

You can drop the blower motor down and reach your hand in there and grab the broken door and I believe you can remove it from there...

The revised part is only available at the dealership. Dodge became aware of the problem awhile back. It's just that it takes some to time for the engineers to revise a part and then of course test it. The part itself is not at all expensive, its the labor.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Tags
05, 1500, 2000, 3500, blend, box, detail, dodge, door, doors, heater, parts, problem, ram, view