3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help putting on a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 AM
jojoelmono
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help putting on a turbo

hi everyone i want to put a turbo on my 05 1500 5.7l truck, but i am not quit sure about all of the stuff that i need i have a site from ebay that has a lot of stuff. is it a good turbo and what else would i need, also any good brands on any of the stuff. i herd that sts turbos is really good but really expensive and suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_6865wt_1185

Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would really need to do alot more in order to make that work.... the turbo may even be too small to be worthwhile. with the amount of money you would spend to make that work youd probably be better off spending the money an a well known kit like sts and get it right the first time. you would also need a wideband and custom tuning so you dont blow up the motor.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not even waste your time. The price alone proves you are buying JUNK. A good quality turbo alone will cost almost $800 and a good intercooler? $400-$500. Their is a reason you don't see Turbo and Supercharger kits cheap. Because you will not get good quality or reliability cheap. "Universal Fit" and "Turbo Kit" should NEVER be in the same product description!. If it is, steer clear.

Where do we begin? It's a journal bearing turbo, junk. You want Ball Bearing. Second, it's not water cooled. It will NOT last long. No turbo company with any respect uses non water cooled turbos. Next, their is no guarantee that tubing will be able to even allow you to mount that setup. Then you have to find an exhaust manifold that will work with it. That alone could be a nightmare. Likley have to have something cutom made. Not going to be cheap. You would have to re-map your fuel and ignition curves to deal with the boost to prevent detonation. Certainly not going to be cheap. You will likley easily spend another $1,000 in added parts. So now you have almost two grand and how many hours invested in this setup. Do you really think that one little turbo is going to give you 100+ more horsepower? Just read their product description, it's not even proper english.

Ill give you a suggestion that will gain you more horsepower for FAR less work, cheaper then this junk turbo kit and less risk. Buy a quality Nitrous Oxide System. They are pretty simple to install with basic tools. An afternoon at most. No parts to fabricate, simple to adjust, no need to have your ECM re-mapped and best of all, they only work when you want them to. AND, if they fail or a system component breaks, your truck is still 100% driveable. You can fix the issue the next day or in a year. Not the case with a turbo. If your turbo fails, your truck is out of commision till you get a new turbo (or have it rebuilt). Nitrous does not raise underhood temperatures or risk contaminating your oil system either.

I would love to have a Turbo or Supercharger on my Ram. But i would never consider it unless i bought a vehicle specific kit from a reputable manufacturer with a real warranty.

Last edited by NV290; 02-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
1wide7
Amateur

To the op yes you can make that turbo kit work but it will require alot of fab work and I wouldn't count on it being reliable and some of the ablove info is correct
How ever nv290
You are giving some false info here I've been working with turbo cars for 11 years now and
Journal bearing turbos work! they are easier to mount and generally last a very long time and with todays technology are spooling just as fast as dual ball bearings, and oil cooled is perfectly fine. Do some research on borg warner been building oil cooled turbos for ever diesel, race cars you name it.
Second
You can buy a t4 flange and mount a turbo after the y pipe any exhaust shop can do this for not much $ no headache at all kind of mimic the sts kit or the kits used for corvettes. And no raised under hood temp
Third
There are alot of magazines out there trying these "budget kits" off ebay making good power on these Turbos and the intercoolers. This intercooler would be fine for that turbo on low boost and pump gas setting.
Fourth
Yes this one "little turbo" can make 100 more whp than stock, again do some research on this size turbo. Is it the best choice for this engine no. Will it work and make more power than stock yes
And finally
What happens in the winter time when your nitrous solenoids (mainly a fuel solenoid) sticks and yes it happens when its cold and this crap fuel with ethanol corrodes them bye bye pistons. Not to mention the hassle of filing the bottle.

Theres arguments for all sides that all come down to personal preference. But back on point can you make it work yes but it will need fab work and some kind of tuning piggyback or ecu, will this turbo be reliable probably not I personally wouldn't use it.

Cheap, reliable, fast Now pick two
seems to work here.

Last edited by 1wide7; 02-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Originally Posted by jojoelmono
hi everyone i want to put a turbo on my 05 1500 5.7l truck, but i am not quit sure about all of the stuff that i need i have a site from ebay that has a lot of stuff. is it a good turbo and what else would i need, also any good brands on any of the stuff. i herd that sts turbos is really good but really expensive and suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_6865wt_1185
Not to rain on your parade, but based on your questions, I think this may be beyond your capibilities. In addition to the good advise provided previously, it takes a specific skill to tune the the motor and you have to be assured that the entire drive train is up to the additional power.

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-24-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
jojoelmono

ok thanks everyone for all the help i guess that i will just save for the sts

Quick Reply: help putting on a turbo