3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 1500 with a Solid Axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Alpheus
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 1500 with a Solid Axle Swap

Did anyone see the new Petersens OFFROAD with the 2003 ram 1500 with a solid axle swap? its a 4 link setup.

Last edited by Alpheus; 01-15-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Add Pic
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

yes he is a member here "ce2flaco" If you ever ask him what all is involved it the swap, you will find it is a lot more then the article is letting you to believe. When I talked with him about it, it is about $6000+ one hell of a lot of time and tweeking things around! But if that is what you want to do then you will have one BAD @$$ truck in the end!

Congrats Ce2flaco! Thats awesome you made it in the mag!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

why not just get a powerwagon for that much of a bump in $$?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah it would be easier to trade your 1500 in for a 2500.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
draco8494
Captain

but then you have the added weight of a 2500 also, and they dont make a RCSB 2500 i dont believe, has to be regular bed or long bed ( 7ft somthin or 8ft )

Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by draco8494
but then you have the added weight of a 2500 also, and they dont make a RCSB 2500 i dont believe, has to be regular bed or long bed ( 7ft somthin or 8ft )
good point on the bed, but i bet all the stuff to hold that axle in there adds a bunch of weight anyway. and when offroading like he is doing, the stronger frame might be well worth the weight.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
RallyRoach

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
good point on the bed, but i bet all the stuff to hold that axle in there adds a bunch of weight anyway. and when offroading like he is doing, the stronger frame might be well worth the weight.

From my experience with SAS Toyotas, I'd be willing to bet it still weighs less than all the IFS crap put together.

Back on topic, I've been researching this swap for mine, mainly because I don't need a 2500 (or the fuel bill from one), but I hate IFS. Here, we have yearly saftey inspections. A mechanic sees an IFS 4x4, instant "Yer gonna need all new ball-joints, steering links, CV boots, etc". I'd sooner swap in a Solid axle, then tell them to go stuff it.

So, if "ce2flaco" is reading, I'd love to know:
-What you used for a steering box
-was hi-steer required, or just an off-road goodie
-How much up-travel you have
-What front drive-shaft mods were required
-How did you tie into the braking system

Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by RallyRoach
From my experience with SAS Toyotas, I'd be willing to bet it still weighs less than all the IFS crap put together.

Back on topic, I've been researching this swap for mine, mainly because I don't need a 2500 (or the fuel bill from one), but I hate IFS. Here, we have yearly saftey inspections. A mechanic sees an IFS 4x4, instant "Yer gonna need all new ball-joints, steering links, CV boots, etc". I'd sooner swap in a Solid axle, then tell them to go stuff it.

So, if "ce2flaco" is reading, I'd love to know:
-What you used for a steering box
-was hi-steer required, or just an off-road goodie
-How much up-travel you have
-What front drive-shaft mods were required
-How did you tie into the braking system
PM him

Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Nice. Congradulations. I love that truck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Just found this thread. Thanks alot for the compliments.

As for some of the questions. I already got and responded to a couple of PM's.

I could have built a jeep or an old beater truck but those are a dime a dozen. I actually considered this project for close to a year before actually starting it. I was very close to buying a cherokee and building it. I already owned the Dodge and it was paid for.
The main reason for the 1500 over a 2500 was exactly as someone said, the length. I want a short wheelbase for the rocks but longer than a jeep wrangler for hill climbs. The Reg cab short bed was perfect. As far as the frame strength. Nonsense. This frame is tough as nails. No flexing, no bending or buckeling. I have beat this truck since i bought it new and the frame has had zero issues. When we removed the IFS crossmember up front i was able to keep the rigidity by having the winch mount in place between the frame rails.

There will always be people that question the logic or approach but thats fine, if it's not your bag then don't do it. As it stands, it is the only one of it's kind and it gets the Jeepers all fired up on the trail when they can't follow my line. It's alot of fun and it was worth the money. It's not about what's cheaper or easier, it's about what a person wants. I wanted to be able to wheel this truck nearly anywhere and now i can...and do.

Again, thanks for the compliments.

Quick Reply: 2003 1500 with a Solid Axle Swap