3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

converting 2wd into 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question converting 2wd into 4x4

I ran into a problem today. It snowed in GA. Me and a bunch of my neighbors don't have 4x4 trucks and can't make it out of the neighborhood due to a large hill. The few that had them could easily make it. Well, I would like to know what I would need to convert my 03 HEMI QC 2WD into a 4X4. Any information on where to find these parts cheap would be helpful also.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cheapest route would be to sell it and buy a 4X4.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
sabin420
Captain

Yeah, but you don't really find that many at the dealerships down here unless they are new. I just got mine last year $8000 and still making payments. It's a great truck and has a lot of engine mods done to it already. And it's in my favorite color...dark blue.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sabin420
Yeah, but you don't really find that many at the dealerships down here unless they are new. I just got mine last year $8000 and still making payments. It's a great truck and has a lot of engine mods done to it already. And it's in my favorite color...dark blue.
Getting everything you need will probably be pricey. And a lot of work unless you're into that type of thing. Try doing a search. There may be some info already on this site about doing that.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
traker1001
Captain

It's a Long difficult process and will probably cost you more than the difference you would probably pay.You are better off selling and buying a 4x4, or even buying another vehicle that has AWD or 4wd just for times like this. FWD cars should have been able to make it up to.

As far as RWD trucks go on streets, I have been able to make it just about anywhere a 4wd can (On the streets). When I got slippery hills I would lower the tire pressure, Put as much weight over the rear axels as you can and take it slow.

With all that, One thing I have seen, 4x4 tend to have more aggressive A/T or M/T tires where as RWD seem to usually have straight street tires. I have always had A/T tires on my RWD truck which make a huge difference in traction in snow and ice.

To shorten the whole thing, Between tires and driving style,You can usually get anywhere on the streets a 4x4 can.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
sabin420
Captain

I got a full shop in my garage at home, lift, compressor, all the specialty tools and all. I've been building racecars for me and my friends. So doing it is not the problem.
I've already been searcing for information. I know how to convert the driveline, my main concern is with the suspension and brakes. I know I'll need:
Differential, Drive Shafts, Front Axel, front hub assy.

Maybe I can solve the suspension question by buying a lift kit and putting that on. and brakes, maybe go to a larger 4-6 piston setup.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me know how it goes. I know there is a guy on the dakota section that turned a 2wd into a 4wd. NOt sure how he went about it.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Why not look around junkyards for a wrecked 4X4 truck and strip it clean.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by sabin420
I got a full shop in my garage at home, lift, compressor, all the specialty tools and all. I've been building racecars for me and my friends. So doing it is not the problem.
I've already been searcing for information. I know how to convert the driveline, my main concern is with the suspension and brakes. I know I'll need:
Differential, Drive Shafts, Front Axel, front hub assy.

Maybe I can solve the suspension question by buying a lift kit and putting that on. and brakes, maybe go to a larger 4-6 piston setup.

Second on SemiGods suggestion. As far as the suspension goes I beleive the difference between the 4wd and 2wd drive is the 4wd has the torsion bars. Maybe instead of stripping a older, maybe you could look into the 06's and up, Getting the parts and fabbing them in would probably be easier using the 06+ parts.

Also, keep an eye on the gear ratio's, You don't want to get a donor with a different ratio unless your gonna change the gears.

BTW, take pics and show off your progress, I would love to watch it happen. Hell, If I lived by there I would offer to bring the beer and help.

**Edit**
Hey I had the thought, Since you are changing the front, Why not put a solid front axel from a 2500 in it, I think the widths are the same.

Last edited by traker1001; 03-02-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want an easier route you could put an lsd in so that both back tires would work for you instead of just one and put some AT or MT to help with traction and you should be fine for the select amount of snow you get but if you do go with conversion +1 on the SFA they are much better to put in good luck man

Quick Reply: converting 2wd into 4x4